Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Milk and King snakes are non venomous. These are both very popular pets in the UK and America. You are thinking of the coral snake (the exotic spp, not the australian coral snake)

Browns and JasonL you are very lucky guys, i love the bandy bandy. Thanks for sharing the pics...

Talk to a few venom researchers and they will tell you differently.....I would not let a child handle one after a night talking venom with Bryan Fry!

A few people in recent times have been bitten by them, with hardly any symptoms.. I believe Jonno copped a bite last year, got a red patch on his arm or something... he posted pics somewhere.. I have freely handled dozens of them without being closely bitten. My kids have dealt with more than bandy bandys... like the P plater that went through a red light last week at 80k/h and clipped my sons leg, just taking some skin off his knee... that was far more dangerous.

A few people in recent times have been bitten by them, with hardly any symptoms.. I believe Jonno copped a bite last year, got a red patch on his arm or something... he posted pics somewhere.. I have freely handled dozens of them without being closely bitten. My kids have dealt with more than bandy bandys... like the P plater that went through a red light last week at 80k/h and clipped my sons leg, just taking some skin off his knee... that was far more dangerous.

That was Stewy mate :)

I often come across them up here,mainly just after dark with a little rain about...I wish they could eat rodents etc as their a magnificent looking animal....MARK

I have always thought of the bandy bandy low risk ...put them in the same cat as BTS and crownies ,naped ...so snakehandler are they regarded by Bryan Fry as a HOT ven now?

intersting thing, i was reading a paper and they had injected Vermicella venom into a rabbit and it died in 15 min!!!

oh i have never known this species to bite,but others have said theve been bitten

Went for a quick herp last night and have herped the area for years and it was the first time I have ever seen one of these a few minutes from my place.I've seen them out of Mackay heading west and had a play with one once,they have a very interesting defense mechanism and sort of go like a figure 8 with only 2 parts of the body touching the ground and rest of body raised.They can also spin round when you hold them by the tail and what a most beautiful snake.The unfortunate part was it was well alive but had some sort of damage and I doubt it survived the night..enjoy as I did takeing some pics!!!
Where abouts was he found Browns? Just curious as I live in Mackay, but have not seen any here. I also dont go out herping all that often.

One of many to be warey of, avoid getting bitten....that's all.....he has some interesting comments on venomous animals, always an interesting conversation

Well I am one of the guilty ones that has free handled 'bandy bandy'...never found them to be threatning in any way shape or form ...as with any snake they can and do bite ..but am totally stumped at the claims of toxicity that has come forward on this thread ...have always been led to believe its a mild ven ..and not a major concern to humans ...

I have handled many in the same way along with many other species considered by many as low toxicity, but have a new respect for their potential after talking with people who study venom, not just Bryan. IMO a ven is a ven and care should always be taken, if you do get a bite do you want to be that one who reacts poorly to the venom....

I caught one once and he put on a great show but never bit and showed him to a bloke that lived in the area for sixty odd years and he never saw one before. i might be wrong but dont they mainly eat blind snakes and are mainly nocturnal?

re First

Good one browns,good to see your getting about having a look round,one i found in the early 80s was on a steep hillside under a rock that was enbedded in soft soil near woronora.

One has need photographed in reedsdale Victoria recently.....it would be very interesting to know the southern limit of their range.

Hey all,
With regards to some of the smaller venomous species, people need to keep in mind that many of the venoms are still being tested and new components are being discovered all the time.

We got the shock of our lives when we looked at Suta suta venom and found it to have powerful neurotoxins and myotoxins present in the venom. On the same trip, whilst collecting specimens for milking, one of the team was bitten by a S. suta measuring 300 mm long. He ignored the bite, and within four hours, collapsed, had difficulty breathing, paralysis of the neck muscles and lost consciousness. He was rushed to the local hospital and treated with Poly.

Some of the most damaging effects of a snake-bite are not "felt" by the victim, giving them a false sense of "I'll be okay". For example, venom components that effect the blood chemistry, are not "noticed" by the victim. You could be at serious risk of bleeding internally are not be aware of it.

Best to treat all of these "unknowns" carefully.

We are currently looking into Vermicella venom, among others.

All the Best.

Hey all,
With regards to some of the smaller venomous species, people need to keep in mind that many of the venoms are still being tested and new components are being discovered all the time.

We got the shock of our lives when we looked at Suta suta venom and found it to have powerful neurotoxins and myotoxins present in the venom. On the same trip, whilst collecting specimens for milking, one of the team was bitten by a S. suta measuring 300 mm long. He ignored the bite, and within four hours, collapsed, had difficulty breathing, paralysis of the neck muscles and lost consciousness. He was rushed to the local hospital and treated with Poly.

Some of the most damaging effects of a snake-bite are not "felt" by the victim, giving them a false sense of "I'll be okay". For example, venom components that effect the blood chemistry, are not "noticed" by the victim. You could be at serious risk of bleeding internally are not be aware of it.

Best to treat all of these "unknowns" carefully.

We are currently looking into Vermicella venom, among others.

All the Best.
very interesting ..well let us know what you find out about this little species...

A bite from any species can-will have different effects on all of us,some people will get nil reactions from being biten,while others can suffer from severe pain...I was in hospital alot longer from a python bite then i did from a baby red belly,go figure.....From my experience from these cute little fellas are,the majority are placid,no biting whatsever,while i did find one that was just as bad as a Eastern brown,rearing up and striking...Its ashame they only eat blind snakes as there such awesome looking snakes...MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back