First timer, general help needed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop_biting_me

Reaction score
Hey people,So I bought a jungle python two days ago, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I live in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne, around Caulfield if anyone knows the area.So his name is Sekhmet, He's black and gold, about 17 months old, about 2 feet long, and probably about 13mm in diameter.The breeder I bought him off said to feed him 1 velvet rat every two weeks and because velvets can differ in size, I should look for ones that are about 2 inches long.Also, I'm keeping him in a container inside a bigger enclosure that is for when he's larger, the enclosure has a 10.0 UVB light in it which is on all the time but the heat globe (150W) is connected to a thermostat to maintain a temperature around 28 degrees in the area around the middle of the enclosure by turning on when it gets too low and off again when it gets too high. I've got thermometers both inside the enclosure and inside the container he's in, the container sits around 28 degrees as well.Here's some links to photos of my set up to give you an idea:Pictures by murder_is_on_the_air_tonight - Photobucket the main things I wanted to know are:What is the difference (if any) between velvet rats and weaner rats?Does anyone know any good places in Melbourne to buy frozen velvet rats?How often should I change his water?Do I need the UV light, if so, is it ok to always have it on (it's quite bright)?Is my heat light situation alright or should I have a lower watt globe on all the time instead of one that goes on and off every 5 minutes or so?Also, do I have to worry about humidity?Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just really want him to be as comfortable and healthy as possible and don't want any harm to come to him because of my lack of knowledge.

Do a bit of a search on here, there is a care sheet and plent of info. Is there a temp gradient? You have the light on 24/7? Id do a bit of reading then ask a bit more. Did you research it before you bought the snake or just listen to the person you got it from?

In winter, and feeding him steadily like that, heating isn't as much of a problem but in the warmer months he needs to have access to a warm spot of 33C +. Keep in mind he's a North Queensland species and so requires a fair bit of heat, not to mention ectothermic or "cold blooded" animals need to achieve internal body temperatures at least some of the time that close to match our own, which is 37.5C. I don't offer my jungle UV light in the form of a globe, I like to give her regular doses of sunlight, but neither is required. I change water bowls about once a week but keep a close eye on it in case he poos in it. velvet rats are much smaller than weaner rats and your snake won't be able to (safely) ingest a weaner rat yet. Twitch_80 is right, your best bet is to read up as much as you can, from the site or from reptile keeping books. And THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION! Always ask. Good luck =)

Hi there the person you bought your jungle from wont be beeding a uv light 150 watt is to much buy a smaller wattage and move the basking spot closer to the heat source I dont know the area you live in though any good pet store will sell frozen rodents velvet rats are a bit small for a 17 month old wearner rats are 2 sizes bigger than velvets/fuzzies change the water every couple of days or so not that they use it much but fresh water is always better than stale

When your feeding a velvet rat you should notice that your jungle has a noticable buldge from its meal if so thats fine, if you dont notice anything you may need to go to weaner rats they are larger. I give fresh water every second day. Daytime lighting should come off at night i have mine twelve hrs on twelve hrs off. Your heating, the warm end should be at least 30 cool side ambient temp. Should not need to change your globe being cold they will come on more often. I would mainly worry about humidity when your jungle is shedding. Hope that helps you good luck.

help???

i have everything ready for my bredli but i dont know how to install the urs lock

BAHAHAHAHA love the name!! For my snakes I also have the UV lights on for 12 hours a day, they turn on at 6 or 7am, usually changes every time I fiddle with it but usually go by the sunrise and the seasons. Get a timer if you don't have one, saves a lot of stuffing around and I'm never up earlier enough to turn them on... Love to see a pic of him :)

Check with Amazing Amazon in Glen Waverley for the rats. In emergencies I also use Upmarket Aquariums near the Queen Vic Market. Always call them before going in because they might not have what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back