Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consider the following

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlothHead

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
PLEASE READ THE FULL QUESTIONS BELOW FOR THE POLL ABOVE

Thought i would see the general consensus of people on a site who are possibly passionate about all forms of animal. The feedback on this same thread on forums such as a fishing forum or animal rights forum are quite predictable, so maybe there is a more balanced mix of people here.

Where this has come from is that a few colleagues of mine have all independently heard a “rumour” that a number of animal rights groups are about to target the fishing industry in a big way to have all forms of fishing banned d as it is cruel to animals. From what I have heard, ironically it is the sports fishing industry they are supposed to be going after first. Now it is only aimed at the individual level, i.e. the father and son down on the rocks with bait in hand or lure, catching a couple on a Saturday afternoon.

So the poll is straight forward but to extrapolate on what the questions are:

“All fishing should be banned as it is cruel to the fish for the pure enjoyment of the person. If people want to eat fish, they can eat commercially caught or commercially farmed fish” This is pretty straight forward and captures all individual level fishing.

“Sport fishing should be banned as the trauma and stress caused to the fish for the sake of catching it and releasing it is cruel.” Obviously this is aimed at the sport fishing side of things where fish are caught and then released just for the sake of fun. From what we have heard on this, the analogy that appears to be being used is would you hook a dog in the mouth and wind it in from down the street. This by its nature therefore infers that catching fish for food is ok and relies on the premise that the cost of catching and releasing is far greater than the benefit of just catching for food purposes. At first glance it doesn’t make sense, the reason for sport is to maintain fish stocks, however, this idea is starting not to apply at all. I grew up fishing in Forster on the Mid-North Coast, but now when I look into the still legal areas to fish these are diminishing quite fast. Many areas are becoming sanctuaries, and are completely illegal to fish in. Thus with more non-fishing areas, it appears to possibly be the start of a long term strategy to outcast the sport fishing side of things.

“Only fishing for pest species should be allowed” Though we cant specifically inhibit what species grabs onto the end, pest species should be the only fish to be targeted as removing them from the natural environment is a good thing. This goes along the lines of not many people would willingly take a gun and go and shoot a lion or elephant for the sake of it, “for sport” however, shooting a wild pig/ buffalo/ or overpopulation of kangaroos falls within reasonable control methods to limit damage to the environment.

Lastly
“There is nothing wrong with fishing”

So, without getting into arguments, it would be interesting to get a balanced view on what others think and why, and as mentioned, my interest on it is due to growing up on the coast fishing 4-5 times a week.

I grew up fishing with my dad(he is still a keen fisherman) as a kid I was the little girl in the cab of the boat holding the fish telling it that I would not let them kill it and when they were not watching I would put it back in the sea haha. Fish are a food source - I eat it and love it but cant catch it. Sport fishing on the other hand is just cruel, also when they catch sharks and chop of fins then drop it back in the water SO CRUEL, So I guess what I am trying to say is that if it is for food then fair enough but catch and release is not on - also killing things you cant eat(giant sharks, and some other large game fish).

I love fishing, and I belong to a recreational fishing club. We go out, we catch, tag and then relase fish. Everything's been researched and everything is done with care and the fish's health as number one. We do demonstrations of proper catching and releasing methods and promoting fish freindly tackle. Tagging is used to study growth rates of the fish, and environmental impact, breeding and how far the fish journeys. Fishing can be done with minimum stress to the fish, it's just the people who don't have a regard for the fish and/or know nothing of how to do it

This is a very deep and complex question. You could just about right a phd on this topic.

I am fisherman, i do it a minimum of once a week and i do actually very often ask myself these questions. As far as sport fishing causing unnecessary harm and stress on a fish i think it absolutely does. But on the same token i think we also need to look at the survival rates of those fish caught and then released. For some species (such as barramundi) survival rates are very good but for others (like jewfish) the rates are very poor. So in this case i think sport fishing for barra is good but sport fishing for jewfish is bad and i suppose basically i don't care if the fish is hurt or stressed so long as it is going to survive.

I also think that it is amateur fishers who are the main driving force behind conservation and the protection of fish stocks and aquatic ecosystems. I have yet to meet a true fisherman who doesn't care about the future of our fishing grounds.

I think fishing is great as long as it is done responsibly .

this is a joke right???:shock:
there is nothing wrong with fishn!!
so gettn hooked in the mouth and then released is worse then being gaught in a trawl net and dragged along the sea bed 100m down for the next hour is OK 'cause it's for food????
go figure!
wake up you bloody wowsers!:evil:
would love to see one of these twits come down and try and tell me I can't go fishn 'cause it's cruel.:evil:
and what about the sport fishing and charter business' in the industry?, what they just go find other jobs do they?
what happens to the tackle shops?
are these wowsers gunna start taking on these suddenly unemployed people?
if these tree huggn animal lovn wowsers have their way, we are all gunna be eatn tofu at xmas instead of the turkey! mmmmmsounds great!
the catch and release push over the last decade or so has literally saved alot of fishing habitats from over fishing.

He who thinks fishing is cruel has killed and animal in there past. Idiots! Fishing is GREAT fun. Farmed fish tastes like crud! commercial fish is a week old. There is only 1 way to eat fish, and that is your own catch!

and what you call sport fishing...widely known with marlin and the rest....alot of that is done under scientific research....remember....humans rule =)

I have been a recreational fisherman all my life, I also spent a good chunk of my life working on commercial reef fishing boats. There is nothing wrong with catching a couple of fish for dinner, Targeting pest species is a good way for kids to have fun and help the environment. As for sport fishing I see nothing wrong with it when done responsibly, Most catch and release fisherman have great compassion for their quarry and go to great lenghts to ensure they swim away in good shape. (I am not a fan of trophy fishing however, killing the animal for the sake of weighing it with a photo)

this is a joke right???:shock:
the catch and release push over the last decade or so has literally saved alot of fishing habitats from over fishing.

Unfortunately not, i have spoken to a number of people about it, and have been trying for a while to get some of the future plans from RSPCA. It has only been rumoured, but the strategic thinking behind it really does make sense.

Animal rights groups what fishing stopped as it is cruel. So rather than stop fishing directly they make sactuaries every where to prohibit fishing, and from what i have seen this is really starting to happen in a big way. The amount of non-fishing reserves now are enormous and the plans for the future are taking large chunks again.

i am all for this sort of thing, marine parks are great. However, it appears to be a spring board to then go and take out the sport fishing "catch & Release" idea. THe simple arguement becomes, if we have marine parks and we have enough of them, then sport fishing isnt allowed, and if we cant monitor people from taking too much then we will just push for a complete ban.

The strategic logic behind it makes perfect sense.

I wont go and say that it is the RSPCA that are going to push for it, but i wouldnt be surprised to see the same animal rights activists that say that we shouldnt have pets to push hard for it.

I dont think anything should be banned, but i do think that the cruelty of sport fishing could be brought to the attention of those that do it and leave them to decide. I would see it no differant to someone catching snakes on fishing hooks as a game. I see no reason to have more empathy for a snake than a fish. Targeted fishing methods such as spearfishing, bowfishing and cast netting are more desirable methods of non commercial fishing IMO.

The other issue is live bait, its obviously cruel to use live bait, but who cares about a worm? i dont, but i dont use live fish. Who is anyone to say where the line should be drawn? IMO its a personal decision more than a legal issue.

ban fishing? yeah right good luck with that

some people are just whingers,spend there whole life trying to ban things
maybe they should ban flyspray cause its cruel to flies,
they are really lacking something in there lives

I will also point out without a special exemption fishing would be illegal in Qld and probably most other states. Allowing fishing is completely inconsistant with cruelty laws.

Fishing ang hunting is great and it is under threat from ___ trying to impose their BS on to others. Duck hunting is already banned in Qld(even exotic species).

Even if fishing does become banned it will not have support from the public or the government and you will end up with a situation like we have in darwin as far as fishing permits are concerned. It maybe illegal to not have one but because it is not supported by the law makers it is not enforced.

I dont see how its Cruel they have put on Earth for a reason, But the bloody asians have taking to Whaling and Shark hunting both of these are cruel because of the un-human way of removing fins and just dumping the rest in the ocean. They should use every bit of the fish! Whaling for "research" is a whole load of bull sh** because how would they like to be cut up and disected?

Thanks Shane (Whalers SUCK!!!)

I can sort of see where they're coming from, but these animal rights groups are taking it a bit too far aren't they? It's starting to be like the politically correct capiagns OS

eg. Baa Baa Black Sheep is now Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep
Cookie Monster is now Veggie Monster
etc

It's just people not toeing the ridiculous line but leaping over it

Of course its cruel and only an idiot would argue otherwise. You can justify it all you want and make up stupid arguements about scientific research but its still cruel.

In the end you have to live with what you do. I love eating fish and I will just have to cope with the horrors of it.

ps none of the poll options suit me.

Since when does the rspca care about native Animals? I thought they only care about the wellbeing of introduced carnivore species that run feral throughout the country?

Unfortunately not, i have spoken to a number of people about it, and have been trying for a while to get some of the future plans from RSPCA. It has only been rumoured, but the strategic thinking behind it really does make sense.

Animal rights groups what fishing stopped as it is cruel. So rather than stop fishing directly they make sactuaries every where to prohibit fishing, and from what i have seen this is really starting to happen in a big way. The amount of non-fishing reserves now are enormous and the plans for the future are taking large chunks again.

i am all for this sort of thing, marine parks are great. However, it appears to be a spring board to then go and take out the sport fishing "catch & Release" idea. THe simple arguement becomes, if we have marine parks and we have enough of them, then sport fishing isnt allowed, and if we cant monitor people from taking too much then we will just push for a complete ban.

The strategic logic behind it makes perfect sense.

I wont go and say that it is the RSPCA that are going to push for it, but i wouldnt be surprised to see the same animal rights activists that say that we shouldnt have pets to push hard for it.

communism sounds great in theory too!!:rolleyes:
be sure to let us know if you find out more..........now that you'e started this!;)

Of course its cruel and only an idiot would argue otherwise. You can justify it all you want and make up stupid arguements about scientific research but its still cruel.

In the end you have to live with what you do. I love eating fish and I will just have to cope with the horrors of it.

ps none of the poll options suit me.

It is cruel but you gotta wonder how much stress it does actually cause the fish. Lets take a typical scenario a fish hooked in the lip/jaw pulled up from around 10m. At that depth they stand a pretty good chance of not blowing their air bladder and once unhooked will go straight back to the bottom. I have even caught the smae fish multiple times in a day in this scenario.

Even if fishing does become banned it will not have support from the public or the government and you will end up with a situation like we have in darwin as far as fishing permits are concerned. It maybe illegal to not have one but because it is not supported by the law makers it is not enforced.

Much like ppl killing snakes. I cant see fishing getting banned here, although they did ban catch and release fishing in um some european country recently. Various forms of hunting are probably under far more threat especially duck hunting and hunting with dogs(where not already illegal).

Unfortunately small minds are often the loudest and the govenement listens to idiots from animal liberation groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back