Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consider the following

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
God i would be lost without fishing. In saying that i dont aggree with how they trawl and catch turtles or other aquatic species that they are not targetting. hence why those envirotraps are slowly being brought in. They catch the species they are after andlet the bigger aquatics species through the net.

I do alot of fishing. Almost every weekend if i can get out. Most of the time i do catch and release but i do also take them to eat sometimes. IMO i dont think there is anything wrong with that.

With 82.44% of people saying there is nothing wrong with fishing i dont think they have a problem with fishing either.

Cameron

Camo, spot on.
I'm still confused why this is even a topic. If you are against recreational fishing, you better not buy fish (or really any other form of meat) otherwise you are contradicting yourself too much. You can't eat something and ignore the process that was taken to catch it (i.e. pay out fishing, then buy fish that has been caught by trawling nets)
Unless of course your someone who is oblivious to everything and will happily chow down on your meal, without realizing where it came from.
By the way, aquaculture is a very small industry. Hopefully that will change with more fish being farmed.
It's funny to see who would be more likely to survive in a wild setting, the person catching their food and trying to survive, or the person who starves to death because they didn't want to kill the fish (even though the fish they didn't want to kill has eaten heaps of fish in it's life, so by eating the fish they could actually save heaps of baby fishes lives, so they really should eat the fish, lol)
Do you see what i mean, it doesn't make sense.

Camo, spot on.
I'm still confused why this is even a topic. If you are against recreational fishing, you better not buy fish (or really any other form of meat) otherwise you are contradicting yourself too much. You can't eat something and ignore the process that was taken to catch it (i.e. pay out fishing, then buy fish that has been caught by trawling nets)
Unless of course your someone who is oblivious to everything and will happily chow down on your meal, without realizing where it came from.
By the way, aquaculture is a very small industry. Hopefully that will change with more fish being farmed.
It's funny to see who would be more likely to survive in a wild setting, the person catching their food and trying to survive, or the person who starves to death because they didn't want to kill the fish (even though the fish they didn't want to kill has eaten heaps of fish in it's life, so by eating the fish they could actually save heaps of baby fishes lives, so they really should eat the fish, lol)
Do you see what i mean, it doesn't make sense.

Some people are vegetarian, those people aren't being contradictory in any way. People who will buy fish but condemn those who catch it themselves are naive hypocrites, as you say. Not many people would take that stance, but it's reasonable to say that fishing with no intention of keeping anything is cruel. Don't be surprised at what people say; it's common to have people say "Oh my god! You shot a duck? I hate you!" then go and buy a hamburger or "You feed rats to your snake? You sick bastard!" then feed their cat meat from a tin. People are just like that *shrug*.

There wasn't an option in the poll which fitted my thoughts on the issue. I might see if I can manage a bit of fishing this weekend :D

Some people are vegetarian, those people aren't being contradictory in any way. People who will buy fish but condemn those who catch it themselves are naive hypocrites, as you say. Not many people would take that stance, but it's reasonable to say that fishing with no intention of keeping anything is cruel. Don't be surprised at what people say; it's common to have people say "Oh my god! You shot a duck? I hate you!" then go and buy a hamburger or "You feed rats to your snake? You sick bastard!" then feed their cat meat from a tin. People are just like that *shrug*.

There wasn't an option in the poll which fitted my thoughts on the issue. I might see if I can manage a bit of fishing this weekend :D
Well said mate.

What are you going after if you go?

Cameron

Well thats the only reason for catch and release fishing isnt it? apart from the pulling bit obviously. Like "wow this thing is really ___ of about being impaled on a hook and is fighting for its life, I wonder if i can overpower this animal thats about 3% my mass".

Overpowering hey........
Well 10kg jewie's on 3 kg line...............I'd say that they would have the edge here.
But, I enjoy it and I dont have to justify it to anyone.
Same as keeping a childrens python all its life in a 2X2X2 enclosure.
Breeding and knocking a few mice on the head to feed it ??
Where do we draw the line.
If its up to the green's you could kiss this all goodbye.

i say in the other direction. Ban net fishing leave people to catch what they like as long as it's no tiger own rod and reel.
All these long line and drag nets are the issue to be concerned with.

Camo: Probably trout. When it gets warmer I'd like to get back into spearfishing. I haven't done it for about three years now! :(

*Sdaji's mouth waters*

Sdaji- I have no case against the vegetarian's, lol. Didn't you move up to the Gold Coast? You back already? lol. I move up in a month. Been heading out spearing heaps lately, mainly to check out the water life, but just in case a nice salmon comes past I'll be ready. Get yourself a wetsuit, gloves, hood and booties then there is no excuse to not go in the water year round.

He who thinks fishing is cruel has killed and animal in there past. Idiots! Fishing is GREAT fun. Farmed fish tastes like crud! commercial fish is a week old. There is only 1 way to eat fish, and that is your own catch!

true yes...should tell the comerical fishers (with those nets) to nick off and if someone wants a fish to go catch it on a line! personally i like spear fishing better cause its a challenge and you can actually see where the fish are...unlike a line you just hope for the best LOL

i don't like sport fishing! especially for marlin, sail fish spear fish or shark!

Luke1- That's what i like about spearing, its selective. You can choose what you go for and what you don't. You can't always choose what fish jumps on your line (i.e. undersize) but if you see an undersized fish you aren't going to spear it.
Sdaji- What about all those plants that have put all that effort into producing fruit and veges, only to have them ripped off and eaten, and don't get me started on those poor flowers that get grown, cut, and left to die in a vase for the purpose of aesthetics , vegetarian's are cruel too. lol

JJS: I moved to Brisbane, then realised what a big mistake it was ;) Melbourne is a brilliant place to live, even if the climate and herping aren't great. QLD is a great place to visit, but it doesn't suit me as a place to live.

Call me a sook, but it needs to be pretty warm for me to get into the water! I could probably do with a better wetsuit, and I can't even remember what happened to my spear, catch bags, etc.

You don't need to tell me about the horror involved with eating fruit and vegetables! Unfortunately I'm not able to survive on a diet of moonbeams and rainbows. Jokes aside, it's a good point about decorative flowers - people complain about land being wasted on meat animals, but will still go to the florist. People jump on their computers made of all types of minerals imaginable, using electricity, living in a house made of wood, metal and other materials, and complain about mining, polution, land usage, etc. People can't handle the truth, neither can they understand it. That's just the way it is.

Pets are already frowned upon by PETA and other similar organisations, the funny thing is most of their members probably have pets :lol:

Precisely lol they dont even realise what they are supporting lol.:lol:

Far out! This is pretty sick stuff! Fish processed and even cooked, then served and still alive (or at least, still moving a little).

Don't watch this if you're squeamish! I'm sure many would be quite upset by it. It doesn't sit well with me at all.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WSsZGbsNzkk

Camo: Probably trout. When it gets warmer I'd like to get back into spearfishing. I haven't done it for about three years now! :(

*Sdaji's mouth waters*
We will have to break the drought together then as i have not been in a few years either.

Cameron

i think i actually heard someone say there has been people running over peoples fishing gear in car parks and such on purpose:?

Far out! This is pretty sick stuff! Fish processed and even cooked, then served and still alive (or at least, still moving a little).

Don't watch this if you're squeamish! I'm sure many would be quite upset by it. It doesn't sit well with me at all.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WSsZGbsNzkk
Not wrong mate. I like fresh fish but not that fresh. Not a fan of that kind of thing.

Cameron

alex_c- Lucky those people didn't run over my fishing gear, where did you hear about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back