Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consider the following

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/20/2340735.htm

They may not throw them back in alive, but shark finning is well and truely still happening.

But so is murder and rape and all sorts of terrible practices. I think carpetmuncher's point (and I'm finding it very difficult to type that name without snorting with laughter) is that this awful practice is already illegal, unlike fishing which is still generally acceptable.

I can sort of see where they're coming from, but these animal rights groups are taking it a bit too far aren't they? It's starting to be like the politically correct capiagns OS

eg. Baa Baa Black Sheep is now Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep
Cookie Monster is now Veggie Monster
etc

It's just people not toeing the ridiculous line but leaping over it

Mmm, how true.
Now if you'll excuse me I'll just finish making my tofu sausages for the snakes!:rolleyes:

But so is murder and rape and all sorts of terrible practices. I think carpetmuncher's point (and I'm finding it very difficult to type that name without snorting with laughter) is that this awful practice is already illegal, unlike fishing which is still generally acceptable.

I'm not saying its the worst thing in the world, just pointing out to anyone who is interested that Queensland exports large amounts of shark fin every year (which i didn't know until recently - i had assumed it only happened overseas). On the fishing point, personally don't like fishing, but that is me. As someone else said i'll never understand the attraction to it, but i do like to eat barra...

We go crabbing, in nets, throw the undersized ones back (sustainability)............. we keep the over sized, ONLY males (throw the females back too).................... they're usually dead within the hour when we come off the jetty............... but we make sure they are before we cook them!
The one thing I hate are the individuals who keep closed bins, keeping everything that comes up in the nets, and hiding them under the tarp in the back of their utes! Usually olive skinned eurpoeans, and usually to sell to supermarkets, who sell the undersized ones regardless, blatantly, to the public!!!!!!

ihaveherps, there have been hundreds of articles written on the topics you mentioned in the last 10 years that provide answers to your particular questions. A good starting point is the work of Richard Wrangham, a controversial Harvard anthropologist who attributes human brain development and many other physical developments in humans to the consumption of cooked root veges rather than red meat.

Also, it's interesting to note that human brain size has actually decresed by 11% in the past 35 000 years, whilst the consumption of red meat has increased.

There is a LOT of evidence to suggest that the reason the caecum and appendix is a lot smaller in humans that it is in other herbivores is due to a combination of the fact that humans historically consumed a diet high in nuts and seeds, many of which do not contain digestable cellulose, and the fact that cellulose walls are softened when heated (cooked). You can also check out the comparative sizes of the appendix in humans as opposed to our closest relatives, monkeys and apes - the proportions are similar in these herbivores to our proportions, and some species do not even have an appendix.

(And for those of you who will argue that apes are in fact omnivores as they consume red meat on rare occasions, mostly in a canibalistic nature: do a little more digging and you will discover that after eating red meat, they will ingest toxic herbs to purge the meat before it is digested).

For more info and heaps of articles, just navigate to www.google.com and have a look-see, that is if you actually care to read the opinions of various academics that are contrary to your own... if you're just here for a flame session, as i suspect you are, and if you're completely uninterested in taking anyone else's theories on board, don't bother adding fuel to the fire. I realise that the widely accepted opinion in this day and age is not my own, and it's conversations like these that have led me to read up on the issue a lot more than your average meat eater, as I switched to a vegan diet for health reasons rather than theoretical ones. As most people have learned to accept this common belief from a young age they're, more often than not, opposed to changing their stance at a much later date. If that were the case here, as it is with most people, there'd be no point in me referring you to books or articles, and the only thing I could further suggest would be that you try a vegan diet for 3 months and see how much better you feel. But I really can't see that happening either.

For this reason, I'm not going to continue with this discussion on this forum and besides, it's waaaay off topic, if anyone wants to continue chatting about this stuff, PM me.

Last edited:
I'm not saying its the worst thing in the world, just pointing out to anyone who is interested that Queensland exports large amounts of shark fin every year (which i didn't know until recently - i had assumed it only happened overseas). On the fishing point, personally don't like fishing, but that is me. As someone else said i'll never understand the attraction to it, but i do like to eat barra...

Don't they sell shark as butterfish? Point is I thought we actually use the rest of the shark unlike those that kill just for a given part like a tusk or horn.

i breed em, i feed fish.
i feed fish to fish, bears eat fish, snakes eat fish
fishing for trophies, are mostly catch and release these days, marlin is tagged or recorded.
i eat fish, and if you were bleeding in the ocean they would eat you ;)
get em b4 they get you.
gotta go, my tropheus are eyeing me off

lol
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh

i had fish for dinner....yummo :)

Fish is good for you.....Omega 3 fatty acids.....good good.....neccissary for good brain devolopment....

And in all honesty.....if you want us...humans...an animal...to stop eating animals, tell me the diff between a human eating meat and a croc eating meat....if the animal the meat comes from is killed humanely...im happy...if its not..ill still eat it. meat is a part of life. especially aussie life. and what, if we did by law all have to eat veges and no meat....what would we do with the live stock? let em all be free and destroy our environment....yehp, smart move indeed :rolleyes: seriosly.... how pathetic of a topic :rolleyes:

i breed em, i feed fish.
i feed fish to fish, bears eat fish, snakes eat fish
fishing for trophies, are mostly catch and release these days, marlin is tagged or recorded.
i eat fish, and if you were bleeding in the ocean they would eat you ;)
get em b4 they get you.
gotta go, my tropheus are eyeing me off

lol
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh

LOL:D
This is not about if we should or should not eat fish, rather how we eat them, or catch them at least.

Don't they sell shark as butterfish? Point is I thought we actually use the rest of the shark unlike those that kill just for a given part like a tusk or horn.

My point is it's not illegal, i thought the export of fins in Australia would have been banned... yes you must have a permit to catch them, yes we use the rest of the fish, no we don't fin them at sea, but we are supplying to the fin trade and therefore contributing to the problem. The argument can be made that because we are already catching them, we may as well sell the fin... I don't agree.

Anyway, back to whether fishing is bad.

As long as the fish caught are killed quickly and treated as food I have no problem with fishing

Hahahaha man vegans are so funny.

"I'm a vegan but I eat my duck eggs" - what? So you're NOT a vegan.. You're a vego. That's up there with "I'm vegetarian but I still eat chicken and fish".

Humans are omnivorous. That's why we thrive on meat and veges. A sole diet of either is detrimental to our health (hence why you get sick if you eat too little veges, and anaemic when you eat too little meat). Every vegan I know is on iron tablets for anaemia. Sounds like the healthy, natural diet to me :rolleyes:. Pity you'd all be dead if we hadn't evolved to be so smart we can fix your self afflicted deficiencies ;)

Also that anatomy jargon is rubbish. It can be explained by the fact that evolution doesn't keep up with our eating habits. As it doesn't in many other examples in the natural kingdom.

For example, pandas eat solely bamboo - SOLELY - yet they have large canines, small incisors and shearing carnassial teeth (carnivore dentition). If you kept a pet panda would you feed it antelope because it has the same teeth as a carnivore, and therefore should eat the same way as one?

By your [flawed] reasoning, emus and ostriches have wings so they are meant to fly. Err wrong.

Last edited:
I think catching your own fish for dinner is a damn sight less cruel and more environmentally sound than buying it down the supermarket, but I can't fathom why anyone would think killing / injuring animals they had no intention of eating was a "fun" way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

PhilK: The average vegan diet is significantly more healthy than the average western omnivorous diet. We don't need nearly as many animal products as we consume in the west, which is a huge part of why we have such spectacularly high rates of heart disease. And just quietly, the word "jargon" is only used by people who don't understand what they've read.

Last edited:
My husband and I are both fishing people. We've heard all this before. Over the years we have seen a number of people, catching fish which are under sized and keeping them, What about the fisherman who do this for a living. Who wants to buy imported fish from overseas, not us. Doesn't taste the same. Most people we know are into fishing. It's getting ridiculous now. We enjoy fishing, and we intend to keep fishing whether they like it or not.

I've go fishing for approx 3 weeks at the end of every year with my old man. We camp it out for 3 weeks, up near coffs. Would eat fish for probably 17/20 night that we stay up there. They are all legally sized, and never ever have we even gone anywhere naar the bag-limit. We NEVER kept more than we could eat - stupidly because sometimes we were short, lol.

I learnt how to gut a fish in a humane way before i learnt how to count - lol. By the time I was in kindergarten I could gut a fish, not terribly well, but I knew how to. These days I can gut fish with my eyes closed, but thats totally different. Again, NEVER have a killed a fish for the fun of it.

Many people abusing the fishing laws, by taking over the bag limit, keeping under-sized fish, and also keeping pregnant fish, or the simplest one. Fishing without a license. I think fishing is a great hobby, its a great way to relax when you are on holidays, and just because a small percentage of morons dont follow the laws doesn't mean everyone should get the priveledge to fish taken away.

Already commented in previous post. To all the guys, plus hubby, surf fishing at Seaspray this weekend. Hope you catch heaps and heaps of fish. LOL.:lol:

PhilK: The average vegan diet is significantly more healthy than the average western omnivorous diet. We don't need nearly as many animal products as we consume in the west, which is a huge part of why we have such spectacularly high rates of heart disease. And just quietly, the word "jargon" is only used by people who don't understand what they've read.
Well, I haven't gotten less than a 7 in any anatomy subjects in vet so far (including Animal Nutrition and Digestive Anatomy) so I wouldn't put it down to me not understanding what I read ;)

I do agree that we eat more meat than we need in Western society, that much is obvious because of heart disease etc (as you stated), but heart disease can also be attributed (and is very much so) to high salt and fat diets. What I'm saying is that a vegan diet is not what humans have evolved to eat, and there can be no arguing of that fact. Humans have evolved to be omnivorous.

Oh and fishing probably isn't the most pleasant thing for the fish, but it sure is fun. I love to fish, and I don't always eat them. What I don't eat I just throw back. (I also Scuba dive so don't use the 'you should go underwater to see fish' argument on me please :D)

For example, pandas eat solely bamboo - SOLELY - yet they have large canines, small incisors and shearing carnassial teeth (carnivore dentition). If you kept a pet panda would you feed it antelope because it has the same teeth as a carnivore, and therefore should eat the same way as one?
quote]

pandas also eat small animals , rats ect

Pandas eat any meat they will come across, usually only dead animals, as they have evloved into a poor hunter from their poor diet of eating bamboo, which they have to eat vast amounts of to stay alive and function. There was a doco I saw some years back of one eating a large dead animal, it had blood all over itself and didn't look so cuddly.

you eat small animals auch as rats :p lol so do i not rats tho the smallest i eat i think would be bunnies or maybe quail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back