Flinders Scorp Reproduction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Araknaphobic

Reaction score
So I've Recently got a Flinders Scorpo and i've sexed her to be female and i was wondering if these guys can reproduce without a mate. i know certain species of scorpion can but i cant find any info even regarding this topic, please help

So I've Recently got a Flinders Scorpo and i've sexed her to be female and i was wondering if these guys can reproduce without a mate. i know certain species of scorpion can but i cant find any info even regarding this topic, please help

Parthenogenesis is fairly rare in scorpions. It does exist in some species, but there are many false rumours about it because of wild caught females which retain sperm from wild males they were with before they were collected. This is probably even more common because a lot of sellers falsely claim their wild caught animals are captive bred. They can also mate before they are mature, hold on to the sperm and use it later.

The species usually sold as 'Flinders Ranges Scorpion' (what I assume you mean by 'Flinders scorpo') is Urodacus elongatus. No parthenogenetic species have been identified in Urodacus. It's probable that since few people actually do captive breed scorpions and most are wild caught, many parthenogenetic species exist but haven't been noticed, but U. elongatus is a pretty common and popular species so it's very unlikely in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back