Food Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
for all the food breeders, can you post pics of your set ups..... every thing from crickets to rats/mice chicks quails if you breed it for thr reps please post.

Cheers

Damo

have not started breeding yet but will soon i hope. heaps cheaper Not that it costs alot anyway.
i'm thinking of using the empty 20lt bin i have and some screen on top.

1/4

I only have a small collection to feed so i setup my rats in 3 tub, 1 90ltr whch the male lives in when hes not needed and 2 x 150ltr tubs which hold 2 females each.
From my experiance ive learnt 2 simple rules to keeping afew breeding safely,
1 - always have 2 females together 24/7
2 - dont leave the male in with them when there pregnant/give birth.
lids i made with mesh on top but ill be adding in a slope to them soon so i can just dump pallet feed on top - will post a proper update on my finished system when its all completed.
Heres a couple of photos

Attachments

• P6100209.jpg
    P6100209.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 61
  • P6100207.jpg
    P6100207.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 114
I run 5 colonies of 5.1 ratio, the male is left in constantly and never had a problem. :)

I run 5 colonies of 5.1 ratio, the male is left in constantly and never had a problem. :)

Yeah fine when u can afford to loose afew pups without noticing ^^
just my personal view from experianse with 1 small colonie :p

ok here we go

this setup is for rats, for breeders i keep a 1.3 ratio in there and it does them well, they have enough room to move around and they help each other with babies

the females always stay in the tubs and the males get swapped with other males

second pic is of a few female weanlings getting sized up for breeding i seperate my males and females and grow the males for food, females for breeding

3rd pic is of some fuzzies in one of the boxes and same with the 4th

setup works great, housed all year around in the shed
i keep the two top trays and two bottom trays for growing up weanlings females top 2, males bottom 2.
this keeps all the breeders in the middle and keeps them heated well for there pinks so they dont freeze as this is set out in the shed

have to make another 20 of these tubs soon

i used to use labrotary cages, but these work alot better.
the rats are calmer dont try and escape or bite and they seem to drop alot more clutches.

Attachments

• P1000422.jpg
    P1000422.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 164
  • P1000424.jpg
    P1000424.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 140
  • P1000430.jpg
    P1000430.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 129
  • P1000427.jpg
    P1000427.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 138
same, male is left 24/7 no issues, but i rotate the males around with other females for diff blood along the lines also

mice are the devil.
they stink. and they are far too small when your pythons grow.
breed rats and get them onto rats asap.
for your 1 coastal 2 females and a male rat willd o you plenty and give u plenty of frozen backup

mice are the devil.
they stink. and they are far too small when your pythons grow.
breed rats and get them onto rats asap.
for your 1 coastal 2 females and a male rat willd o you plenty and give u plenty of frozen backup
Dont rats stink like mice:??????
I have just started breeding mice for my coastal and yer the male mouse stinks;)

No rats don't smell as bad as mice. Male mice urine smells quite strong! My set up is non existent as Hubby is allergic. But my sister breeds her pets spasmodically to supply my snakes needs. She has all her girls in a ferret cage. The boy is in a basic pet shop rat cage(when not performing mating duties). When females are two weeks pregnant, they are put in a smaller pet shop cage as the ferret cage bar width would allow little pups to escape or fall through!
Some "pretty" pups are kept for pets for friends....

rats dont smell at all
fiancee and i clean the cages every sunday and yeah hardly any smell.
left it for 2 weeks once tho (ran out of time) and it stunk bad.
where as the mice when we bred them smelt after 2 days

Don't use CO2 on the pinkies, it takes waaaaay to long for them to die, the quickest and most fool proof way I've found is to throw them on the floor, it's not very nice to do but better than watching them suffer and its an instant death

Don't use CO2 on the pinkies, it takes waaaaay to long for them to die, the quickest and most fool proof way I've found is to throw them on the floor, it's not very nice to do but better than watching them suffer and its an instant death

That is the best way to do it!! I hate C02 Its the worst way to kill any size rat IMO clonking is IMO the only fast and reliable way to do it If you can

Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back