Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeloader

Reaction score
This marbled Velvet gecko is for sale on another site. The person is asking money for this animal that is obviously in poor condition. She is looking to re-home it, but you have to pay for the privelege of owning the extremely underweight animal. A good indication is that the head is broader than the body and there is no width or bulk in the tail. This seller is an absolute joke and should be ashamed of themselves. This animal is supposed to be 2yo.

Attachments

• skinny mvg.jpg
    skinny mvg.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 891
I thought the one I pick up in january was skinny but that's sickening.
No wonder they never successfully bred the robusta pair.

I felt sorry for this velvet so tonight I'm off to purchase it.
Going to costs me $50
I got it an enclosure today.
7cb90f7a-8dbd-d04e.jpg

Time to fatten it up :)

I felt sorry for this velvet so tonight I'm off to purchase it.
Going to costs me $50
I got it an enclosure today.
7cb90f7a-8dbd-d04e.jpg

Time to fatten it up :)

There's a unwritten rule amongst animal keepers: never buy a sick animal because you feel sorry for it. The chances of success are slim. There may very well be a reason why it's skinny, and it may not be because it is starved... it may be dying anyway, because things do die eventually...

Jamie

^^^^
Very well said
Plus make sure you use strict quarantine as you have no idea what could be wrong
I dont know much about geckos but they probably have transmittable diseases just like snakes do

There's a unwritten rule amongst animal keepers: never buy a sick animal because you feel sorry for it. The chances of success are slim. There may very well be a reason why it's skinny, and it may not be because it is starved... it may be dying anyway, because things do die eventually...

Jamie

I understand that but money isn't an issue so i dont mind spending it and the girl I got her off said she can't afford to look after all her snakes & geckos.
I wasn't too inpressed with some of her husbandry.

And besides if it dies then I got a cool enclosure for a healthy one :)

maybe a more natural enclosure like jarrod_h has maybe help it recover the tub it in looks a bit crap i can not see any water bowl but they might have one there in the corner

maybe a more natural enclosure like jarrod_h has maybe help it recover the tub it in looks a bit crap i can not see any water bowl but they might have one there in the corner

Jarrod_h is the one who is buying it, oh and geckos dont need water bowls - they need misting

^^^^
Very well said
Plus make sure you use strict quarantine as you have no idea what could be wrong
I dont know much about geckos but they probably have transmittable diseases just like snakes do

Since the subject of gecko transmittable diseases has come up can any body shed some light on that??

I understand that but money isn't an issue so i dont mind spending it and the girl I got her off said she can't afford to look after all her snakes & geckos.
I wasn't too inpressed with some of her husbandry.

This is a huge problem that will arise more and more, There are to many people buying far to many reps for their capacity to look after them. They think they can handle it but in reality can not and this is the result!

Last edited:
Loves her new enclosure heaps of room for her to be happy not like where I got her from.
Ate some crix lastnight so I'm stoked about that, if only I could fast forward time to when she is bigger and fatter.

This is a huge problem that will arise more and more, There are to many people buying far to many reps for their capacity to look after them. They think they can handle it but in reality can not and this is the result!

Stimigex, Well said l could not have said it better myself, the reason people buy to many Reptiles is for attention seeking, if you don't have enough money or space to look after your pets no matter why type of animal it is, why even bother to get any pets in the first place, the pets will only suffer stress and health issues and die lMO, each and everyone to their own.

l myself only have 4 Reptiles here in my home with me to look after properly thats enough for me, why do l need 20 or 100 Reptiles l don't at all, l use to keep close to 34 Reptiles not anymore cause l don't plan on breeding these awesome creatures now or into the future.:)

Loves her new enclosure heaps of room for her to be happy not like where I got her from.
Ate some crix lastnight so I'm stoked about that, if only I could fast forward time to when she is bigger and fatter.

Thats good that she is eating and looks happy :)
Keep us updated, would love to see some pics of her now.
Cheers

Ahh yes ^^ Thank you for pointing this out, this may seem a bit off topic but the reason of this is people are dropping the reptiles prices ridiculously low! For people who have been in the hobby a while will remember the days when a 'cheap' black headed python cost $2000! Womas were around the $5k- $6k mark green tree python pairs were around the $15k-$20k mark etc etc with other species now you can buy all that (except the greens) for under $500! People these days see a nice animal for a cheap price without realising the work that must go into keeping the animal. I find it quite sad actually, especially going over some peoples houses and seeing the poor husbandry i would never dream of seeing. Reptiles need to hold their value!

Ahh yes ^^ Thank you for pointing this out, this may seem a bit off topic but the reason of this is people are dropping the reptiles prices ridiculously low! For people who have been in the hobby a while will remember the days when a 'cheap' black headed python cost $2000! Womas were around the $5k- $6k mark green tree python pairs were around the $15k-$20k mark etc etc with other species now you can buy all that (except the greens) for under $500! People these days see a nice animal for a cheap price without realising the work that must go into keeping the animal. I find it quite sad actually, especially going over some peoples houses and seeing the poor husbandry i would never dream of seeing. Reptiles need to hold their value!

You are both completely correct and it is sad how cheap and easy you can just buy reptiles. Especially when a few newer breeders don't ask for a license? I have only owned reptiles a few months now however I volunteered in the zoological industry for over a year and every chance I got, I was with the reptiles. I did my homework, I looked at sights I was told to look on etc etc. However owning your first one is a steep learning curve. Both of my snakes have been great, no dramas but bearded dragon hatchlings, I didnt realise you needed so much stuff for them as the "zoo" didnt have all of this stuff for them, they had 5.0 UV, they didnt give them calcium/vitamin supplement, they kept the smaller ones with the bigger ones, the list goes on. I had never even heard of this forum until I got reptiles and I am glad I did, I have had a few problems with my beardies since I got them. I thought I had done the research, I had worked with hatchlings every week, I knew what they ate, that they needed live insects etc but got mis-informed with some information.

My point is, sometimes the information your given is incorrect and sometimes people give up. And this is where problems start. I obviously havn't given up, I love my guys to bits, both are eating fantastically, both have fat bellys, both are shedding well, both love to be handled and get their fresh vegies/crickets/supplements as well as a spray every morning. I dont know if I am making sense, just chucking a point out there?

The biggest problem with the most popular reptiles (pythons) is that they are highly fecund animals, and any pair of animals that produces 20+ babies per clutch per year, and then the 10 pairs from that clutch (or even a proportion of those 10 pairs) produce their own babies 3 years later, is going to rapidly flood the market. Then with supply & demand, oversupply leads to a massive drop in price because there's a glut of snakes on the market... and the price of "ordinary" animals drops even further. Then we move on to the next must-have animal of the month, maybe a rare morph, and the cycle starts all over again. They become commodities, and subject to whims of fashion... sad really...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back