Force feeding/Assisted feeding Ideas.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 6 months old and seems to have had at least 7 feeds - it really doesn't sound like it's at the life-threatening point yet.
In my original post I have stated that it will be fine for a few months and gave other options first.

We've established it's not actually illegal...

Thanks, got it now.
my internet keeps collapsing...
by the time I finished typing, 1/2 dozen replies gone through and I've missed them, bugger!

It's a fuzzy mouse with no teeth and no sight or sound I hardly believe it will suck the hatchie to death. It won't be stalking your snake like a tiger in the jungle, im not saying to leave a fullgrown rat with a six month old hatchie. Nothing in humane about it, it's called life and death and it's never been illegal, even RSPCA website advises its legal to do it.
Thanks for explaining it to me.

thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I have had 3 jungles this season, can I say that rats are a necessity. Patience is the biggest key and increase the temp a little 32 is a great temp. A good hide and a perch will help.

Live feeding is a) illegal, b) unethical and c) a good way to get your snake injured.
unethical to do it every feed when the snake will take frozen yes , unethical in the situation of non feeders no

also the legalities of this have been discussed before , basically there is no law making it illegal , it is only a recommendation from the RSPCA i believe and it says on their site that these are only recommendations and not enforceable by law

Up the temp and try offering a day old quail in a week or two

Really? The ethical debate over pinkie mice for a non-feeding young snake? :rolleyes: Unfortunately the health of my snakes come just a little bit higher in my priorities than the life of a mouse.

Really? The ethical debate over pinkie mice for a non-feeding young snake? :rolleyes: Unfortunately the health of my snakes come just a little bit higher in my priorities than the life of a mouse.
It's a slow, painful, and probably extremely scary way to die. But hey, roll those eyes.

Sorry guys, of course I accept that in some situations there may be no other option, but Wrightpython's advice came across as 'live feed if it still isn't eating in three weeks', not 'live feed if there are literally no other options and it is starving to death' (though he did say it would survive for ages without food of any kind). I didn't know it wasn't actually illegal though, so thanks for correcting me on that one.

And notechistiger, roll your eyes all you want, but some people do actually care about the welfare of animals other than their own pets. The ethical debate certainly stands in this case, as the snake is nowhere near the point where it would need live feeding.

It's a slow, painful, and probably extremely scary way to die. But hey, roll those eyes.
and starving to death for a snake is a very slow and probably at least a little bit painful for them , its the bloddy food chain get over it , yes people shouldn't feed live often but if its a necessity then im all for it

and starving to death for a snake is a very slow and probably at least a little bit painful for them , its the bloddy food chain get over it , yes people shouldn't feed live often but if its a necessity then im all for it

Really? I assumed captive animals weren't part a food chain..

I thought pinky mice were blind? Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that they couldnt see, or hear or anything. So probably not slow and scary death if that's the case, cause they'd never see it coming, and they'd die pretty quick once the snake got hold of them wouldnt they?

i figured id give an update. feeding time is tonight. so i figured id try a tiny little fuzzy mouse ( they have been forcing pinky rats) I defrosted the mouse with a quail and offered the mouse with a little bit of jiggling. she struck a bunch of times. then eased up to it and sniffed and took it gently. its been swollowed. not a problem. this is the first attempt i have made at feeding the jungle and yeah. im pretty happy with this result.

she also took the quail. fatty. ill leave her for a week and see if she is interested in food again.

Last edited:
i at the moment am force feeding a 8 month old coastal im feeding him fish i believe this snake has never eatin since he was born he was given to me by a guy who was days away from puting him in the freezer to put him out of his misery

I'm surprised the previous owners didn't try anything other than rats and fuzzy mice.

i at the moment am force feeding a 8 month old coastal im feeding him fish i believe this snake has never eatin since he was born he was given to me by a guy who was days away from puting him in the freezer to put him out of his misery

And how are you dealin with it? Have you tried a wide variety of smells/ food items? I wouldn't normally ask but ya just never know. Look at the people I got this girl off .

i have force fed him mouse/rats tail aswell the vet said use fish so far so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back