Forum And Ownership Newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayGunn

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im new to this forum as well as reptile ownership and i just would like to one, say G'day and two get a few insights and tips to starting up.

Ill start with a bit about myself.
Im 24 years old from Baldivis WA with (almost) 2 children and have wanted to own a snake for probably well over 10 years now (as well as being told no from parents i thought id sit on the idea to see if it would change... it hasnt lol) im looking at getting my first snake in a couple of years when im a bit more financially able and with that i will start off with a Category:3 reptile license. That puts my current options at a Stimsons, Childrens or Woma. Eventually i would like to work upto getting a Carpet Python which is my dream snake haha.

What i would like to know is, can someone give me some breeders (online or local) and some tips to get tanks, heating pads, frozen food etc as well as pros and cons of each breed. I only know a little bit about womas but even then my knowledge is limited.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as i would like to start building up my knowledge base before i get anything.

Hello and welcome,
Get a copy of this book, A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity. The book covers every facet of keeping pythons in captivity and will answer any questions relating to enclosure size, heating, lighting and has a detailed description of each species.

Regards,
Nick

Thanks ill look into it.

Just also read that cat 3 also includes south western carpet python so im happy haha. I would also like to hear other peoples experiences with either one of the breeds ive mentioned :)

They're not breeds. They're species. Some other good books would be Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons edited by Mike Swan and The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander. The general view is that carpet pythons tend to be a bit snappy when young. But don't worry, their bites are harmless. They usually calm down with time and size. But of course there can be exceptions. The upcoming reptile expo would be a great place to view the species that you're interested in. There should be many hatchlings available for sale. At the expo they're usually cheap to reasonably priced. Pet shops on the other hand tend to be overpriced in my opinion.

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping. Some good advice above. A lot of people starting out like to begin with a Stimsons, childrens, or spotted, as they are smaller and generally more placid. But if you are keen on a carpet, then do your research, ask lots of questions, and try and find opportunities to handle some.
And Oshkii will tell you how awesome south westerns are. ;)

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping. Some good advice above. A lot of people starting out like to begin with a Stimsons, childrens, or spotted, as they are smaller and generally more placid. But if you are keen on a carpet, then do your research, ask lots of questions, and try and find opportunities to handle some.
And Oshkii will tell you how awesome south westerns are. ;)

Thanks pinefamily. As much as I'm enjoying my South-west Carpet Pythons, I'm not sure if I'm the right person to offer advice as I haven't been keeping them for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back