found black tarantula western Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

artpty

Reaction score
Hi all, i found a allover black tarantula about 120mm leg span in perth western australia. the spider is like velvet balack all over, no other colurs exept under the body at the top of the leg where it joins the body there is a round bald round pink dot, one on each leg.
i could not beleve my eyes when it popped out of a metal pipe about 3 feet up a wall of a tin shed. the location is surrounded by native bush and joins a
C container yard. i'm thinking it may have come in from over sea's maybe.

Can any one think of what it could be?

I put the spider into a choc milk container to take home but a co worker released it back into bush land, i could have killed him!
The spider looked almost like it was a toy, amazing soft jet black and i cant seen to fine a picture of it any where on the net.

Sounds like it could be a Whistling Spider Selenocosmia stirlingi which are widespread from WA through the centre to Qld and south to western Vic, but i could be wrong, i'm no Arachnologist. There are other species of Aussie Tarantulas, mostly from Queensland tho.
Great looking spiders, could even psych myself up to having one as a pet.

hey mate, get some pics up and ill tell you if its even a tarantula,
alot of trapdoors that look very similiar to tarantulas, espicially where you are ;)

@elapo: it wont be a stirlingi, nor any other T's you would find in the hobby ;)
and stirlingi just like every other arid aussie T is a light brown colour

Didnt have a chance to take any pic's
the colour was a jet black all over and it had a window box spider type web at the opening of the metal pipe. it looked very tarantula like with thick legs and rounded feet. this is the biggest spider i ever seen over here in WA. the only hope of ID would be the 8 pink dots under the body at the end of the legs. by far the best looking T i have ever seen.

checked out the selenocosmia wrong colour and shape.
the trapdoor spider is also way out in the shape department and looks totaly different the the spider i found.
the closest T i've found to it is the Brazilian Black, but the brazilian seems to have much longer hair over its body and legs. this one had very short velvet like hair and the colour was the same all over jet black not dark grey or brown. i can't seem to find a photo of the under side of the Brazilian Black to see if it has the pink dots...

Last edited:
the only hope of ID would be the 8 pink dots under the body at the end of the legs. by far the best looking T i have ever seen.

try googling pink toed tarantula

hope its not tho as thats an exotic as well, although with that description it could be anything really

If its pitch black it doesnt sound like any T I know, it couldve been a Funnelweb or a Trapdoor (there are many species of trappy).
It wont be a pink toe.

If its pitch black it doesnt sound like any T I know, it couldve been a Funnelweb or a Trapdoor (there are many species of trappy).
It wont be a pink toe.

Not if it is climbing up a tin shed.

If you are certain it was a tarantula (sorry I had to say.. Get asked all too often what type of tarantula somebody's huntsman is) then it is very very interesting. The description and size you gives certainly sounds tarantula like.

Sorry didnt read that bit, still arent there some trapdoor species that can climb?

To a very small degree though they would definately have a lot of trouble with a verticle smooth surface. They won't be 120mm either ;)

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.
yes the spider was found about door handle hight in the door way of a big tin shed sournded by a gravel car park. at first i thought window box spider becouse of where is was and the black colour. but it didnt take long to realise the shape and size made it some thing new i've never seen before. i'm 45 years old and grow up n the bush 100km west of perth and though i had seen it all and this was big and tarantul like it didnt have legs that thined to a point it had big thick legs and rounded ends pad like. most of all the thing that realy stood out was its size or mass (all over big) i've seen thousands of huntsmen and other spiders and this was a new one for me.

knowing the knowledge we have of Western australian inverts, its possible it is a T, but i have heard of big black trappys down there aswell :)

Havn't been able to find a pic as yet, that looks even close. the steel pipe it was in had a funnel wed at the entrance, know sign of a trap. so i'm thinking it can only be one of two thing- a new species or it come in on a C container from over seas. but if the second is true, why cant i find a photo of it. the 8 pinlk dots on the under side was such a stand out that it would have been documented by some one. so i must find it again i guess.

dont know anything bout spiders :( but could it have been a bird eating spider aka australian tarantula? lol just a thought :)

It could be a Central of South American tarantula that escaped from captivity, tho I thought it was illegal to keep foreign species of spiders here.
The pink spots, coming to think of, do relate to something ive seen on the Central/South American Tarantulas seen on a TV doco.
Possibly an undescribed species.

Id HIGHLY doubt its a new species.
Western Australian species have been documented but because you can not collect from there, there is hardly any photos of WA invertebrates (they have by far the most)
from your description it could be anything... and btw, not much sites will help you with an ID, none actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back