Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuttley

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well it has been a big week for me. I am always dying to just 'bump into' snakes about the place, but it never usually happens for me. Now, in the space of a week, I have had (almost) three encounters!

Last monday, my neighbour called me over because there was a snake in her bathroom. I removed the tree snake and took it up the road for her. Then yesterday afternoon I got a call from her to say that she was on the kitchen table (!!) with a brown snake on the floor beneath her. Unfortunately (?) I was not in town for that one. Then this morning, I hear the butcher birds and noisy miners going crazy, and low and behold there is a beautiful little carpet python sitting in the garden. Luckily I had the camera handy, so thought I would share with you all. Sorry about the lighting, but midday sun is very unforgiving.

DSC_0946.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

Cool! Where do you live?

About two years ago I came across a huge Carpet Python in the middle of my street - actually, it was night time and I didn't see it and almost ran over it with my car! :shock: It ended up going in to a storm water drain.

Awesome, great pics too. I also just saw the first snake in my yard for the spring it moved so quick i couldnt even tell if it was a marsh snake or a common tree snake, either way im sure it will be back for more frogs later.

The first two encounters were at Gatton, where I live for uni. The carpet was in the Tweed area. Poor thing is getting a hard time from the ravens and the butcher birds. It retreated up a bare liquid amber tree, and they have been swooping him for hours. If only I could reach him.......

Yea dazza I was thinking the same thing I wish my grass was that green lol oh well maybe when it starts raining and the snake is gorgeous

Wow - fantastic pics. I have to ask, how did you go about removing the tree snake? Obviously it wasn't used to handling so how did you do it? I ask because a couple of months back at school there was a green tree snake in a bush outside my classroom. A couple of the kids spotted it, I've seen some horrible cases of animal abuse from silly school kids and I wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. At that time, I chose to stand guard for 40 minutes while the school emptied and the bus kids left, moving the snake would have been easier. So how do you do it without harming the snake?

Wow - fantastic pics. I have to ask, how did you go about removing the tree snake? Obviously it wasn't used to handling so how did you do it? I ask because a couple of months back at school there was a green tree snake in a bush outside my classroom. A couple of the kids spotted it, I've seen some horrible cases of animal abuse from silly school kids and I wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. At that time, I chose to stand guard for 40 minutes while the school emptied and the bus kids left, moving the snake would have been easier. So how do you do it without harming the snake?

Basically you are better off leaving it, grabbing a tree snake can break its back if you arnt careful. Better off just telling a teacher to keep the kids away.

I AM the teacher! And that's what I did. So now I know standing guard is better - I can do that!

Re: the tree snake, he was on the bathroom floor. I offered him a nice dark snake bag and he pretty much jumped in!!! If it is in a tree, definitely just keep the kids away and let it do its thing.

I AM the teacher! And that's what I did. So now I know standing guard is better - I can do that!

Good work :) You also need to tell them to leave it alone and that all snakes need to be left alone, trying to catch the snake in front of kids can send a very bad message. Plenty of kids would be able to tell the difference between harmless and deadly snakes, but more probably just think they can. There are plenty of ppl who have caught deadly snakes under the impression they are harmless. If you do find a deadly snake and it needs to be removed call a professional snake catcher to deal with it.

Good work :) You also need to tell them to leave it alone and that all snakes need to be left alone, trying to catch the snake in front of kids can send a very bad message. Plenty of kids would be able to tell the difference between harmless and deadly snakes, but more probably just think they can. There are plenty of ppl who have caught deadly snakes under the impression they are harmless. If you do find a deadly snake and it needs to be removed call a professional snake catcher to deal with it.
Ha Ha that is so true....i came home late from work one night to be greeted by my dad who said he had caught a snake moving along the front of the house along the driveway. I had a fishtank on the back verandha that i used to house injured herps when i was in wires. Anyway i head out there to check it out and it's a bloody juvenile TIGER SNAKE....lol. He had caught it using a plastic salad bowl and a coat hanger :shock:

I wish I got pythons in my yard, Bloody Eastern Browns make mowing a fun experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back