Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DENNYCRANE

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday,

Was out the back today cleaning up and came across a very small snake no bigger than 10cm. I picked it up with a pair of tongues and it started making a squeakey noise. Which shocked me. I at first thought it was a whip snake due to size i am guessing it was to small for brown snake so i have no idea what the hell it was. I am pretty sure it was not a brown so Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
If its making a squeaking noise id say its a small legless lizard. Have u got any pics? I hope u didnt hurt it with the tongs !!

Nah never hurt it i let it go back under the rocks it was near. It never had ears so it had to be a snake.

It has simmilar markings to a whip or juvenile brown but i never found either of these 2 breeds squeek before.

Not to many snakes make a Squeaking noise, but Legless lizards do. Did u get any pics? Did u see its tongue ? Was it flat or forked?

I never took pics i probably should have it did have a foked tongue thats why i got no idea what the hell it was. Maybe i found a new species?

Judging that you don't even know how to spell tongs i'm guessing you don't know the damage they can do either.. Don't pick up anything with tongs, if you aren't confident it is harmless then you shouldn't be touching it at all.

I cant understand how many ppl pick up reptiles,especially snakes and they havent a glue what it is.Even if you do reconise what species it is,you shouldnt go around picking everything that moves up.Unless its on your property,endangering you or someones life.Thats how alot of bites occur,inexperience ppl trying to capture a snake..

DENNYCRANE;1387803 I picked it up with a pair of tongues and it started making a squeakey noise. [/quote said:
you are crazy , were the tongues still atatched to heads or do you keep em in a jar.

hahahaha , sorry couldnt resist.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

this is an example of why snakes end up with a bad name through the media. they get people that have no idea what they are that have to pick them up, then the snake bites them and is made out to of attacked the person. please dont pick up snakes that are wild. even a tiny hatchie could make you very sick or even kill you if your bitten by it. not to say the harm you may do to it picking it up with or without a pair of tongues (tongs)

If i want to pick up a snake in my own backyard i will, if none of you want to give me a guess as to what it was fine.

It is amazing that it squeaked. My Bredli decided to climb a tree in the Garden today & when I tried to remove it it was huffing like my BHP. Maybe it is a new species... If you do find it again PLEASE get pics!!!

After talking to my EPA neighbour- don't worry about handling snakes in your garden, because that is what she does too!!! And you can't tell me just because she works for the EPA that makes it ok. When I asked her where she went for her handling course, she told me she has never been to one.

The hatchling/ juveniles of both Delma inornata and D. impar have black heads. Where in Melbourne did you find the animal and how big/small was it?

Denny Crane,

I know that you have said that you could not see any ear openings and thought the tounge was forked, these two characteristics could easily be overlooked or mistaken without getting a real close look.
Im guessing that judged on where you roughly are that is Delma inornata (olive legless lizard, think that common name is correct?), to the untrained eye the ear openings can seem well hidden or absent and Delmas do flick their tougue similar to snakes, but the squeaking sound is the dead give away for being a Delma as this a common action for them.
Don't feel ashamed for the mistake, it is common because superficially they do look similar to a young eastern brown or whip snake except for the lack of dark head markings.

Shlanger, beat me to it and sorry your right I forgot to mention that hatchling D.inornata can have dark facials.
Good one shlanger!!

what is wrong with you. is your head not working. you dont pick up an unknown snake poisonous or not. if it was a brown snake it could have killed you. how about you stop crying and whining and get your head together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back