Free guinea pigs!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that he's feeding it guinea pigs.. it's just disturbing that that particular guinea pig was someone's pet and potentially lived a happy life just to be killed for some reptile food

The stuff you buy hasn't been raised as "pets" and from day 1 are seen as food by the people breeding them

How is it that a guinea pig that lived a happy life before being used as feed is upsetting, whereas it is much more acceptable for rodents to be bred specifically for food and often have a terrible life? Seems it should be the other way around to me.

My guinea pigs haven't been eaten, because we don't breed them... but they have a pretty good life. They have access to dried hay, pellets and water in their hutches, and we release them into the garden during the day for them to eat grass and clovers and all the pot plants... but they always go back to their hutch at the end of the day by themselves, and they are locked up for the night.

I think ur missing the point of why people are "upset" it's not that he fed a guinea pig to his monitors.

It's the fact that it was a pet.

As said before we should be targeting the owner of the guinea pig for allowing it instead of giving to a kid or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You agreeing with it is the same as saying "giving my dog away don't have time for it" and giving to someone who says "I'll take it and use as shark bait" then allowing the person to take your dog.

I'm not missing the point but I think you are. The animal WAS a pet until the time a decision was made that it was no longer wanted. Options could include re-homing or selling said animal, though they were unlikely to get much success as the market is flooded. Once the owner or parents of the owner made the decision to get rid that animal was almost certainly on death row......potentially to end up being euthanised in a not so ethical manner as it has been. The means of its demise was thus passed to someone with experience in ethical euthanasia and the carcass disposed of in a manner that put it to some use rather than it being thrown in the garbage bin.

What you are doing is confusing emotions with logic. What happened here was both logical and ethical but without emotion.

Apologies for upsetting people, it was not my intention, I should have chosen my wording a bit better. Thanks for the support from those who know I would never intentionally inflict cruelty on ANY animal, feral or no. The GP's were humanely euthed in my Co2 setup, then frozen for several weeks prior to feeding out. Great conditioning for the female in the up coming breeding season. I think the extra fat/ protein provided by GP's may have had a hand in the huge clutch she (my female Rosie) produced last season. 25 all up, unheard of, as far as I can tell, with this species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back