Free to experienced home (carpet)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli84

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys.
About 2.5 years ago i bought a yearling coastal carpet python. At first he fed and sloughed really well, but leading into winter a couple of years ago he went off his food.
I thought this was just because of winter, but he didn't eat again until the end of october. Since then i have probably managed to get him to feed 6-7 times. He didn't seem to lose much weight until the 6 months. Now I can easily feel ribs and he seems more lethargic.

I have taken him to a reputable vet a few times, he was not able to detect any illness in the snake and could only give a few suggestions (eg supplying UV, diff feeding methods etc). He also did a blood test. The test showed slightly elevated white cells, so we gave the snake a course of antibiotics. To no effect.

He also has been shedding terribly since then, I have to assist him every time. Even with the addition of a kitty litter tray full of water to he's enclosure. I have also changed the set-up of his enclosure and used different enclosures.

I have tried every trick in the book to get him to feed, with only minimal success from tease feeding and none from any other method.
I dont believe he is sick, well not initially anyway and all my other snakes are as healthy as horses with appetites to match.

At this stage I have given up and would welcome someone who knows what they are doing to take on this problem. I dont really expect any takers.

thanks Folk.

I should just add that I am not looking for advice, I have already tried everything that I am willing to do.
(I will obviously keep trying if nobody wants to take him.)

well 2 years of my efforts havn't made him any better, so something needs to change.

Also, I am not willing to freight. I dont think the stress would do him any good.

obviously there could be different coditions causing those symptoms however I did recently see a spotted black snake who had been doing poorly for a number of years...a chronic condition such as your snakes. Im not sure about the shedding but the spotted black was also quite lethargic and not feeding well or putting on much weight as it turned out he had a highly malignant tumour - I assume your vet would have checked for a tumour but I just thought I would bring it up incase he didnt.

i would be happy to help but please pm me the history of what has gone on in detail , which vet did you take it to ? mediciens administered ect

I am just down the road from you in Melton. I will take him on the condition that if he starts to feed regularly again you will take him back. PM me if you want to go ahead.
Cheers Scott.

Hey bredli84,
I can also offer him a safe and loving experienced home.
PM if you would like to chat

Cheers Bec

im sorry about ur snake i hope u find him a home that someone can try to get him a bit better with a bit more luck

Hi kupper, bredli84 tried to worm him, but not very successfully. He used a product called Flagyl, but had difficulty getting it down his neck so it may not have been very effective.

ok cool , bredli bring the snake around at your earliest convenience i am going to use a stomach tube adn worm him direct

he was given baytril which can be in some instances used to kill certain worms (i looked inot this a while back after being challenged over its use)

but anything i worth a shot , might even give it a bit of food at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back