Fresh Cut Wood

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MzJen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)
I'm sure there is a hundred posts already relating to this but I'm going to ask anyway :)
How safe is it to use fresh cut wood (from my neighbors tree) in my enclosure?
I have read somewhere about a 'bleach and water' treatment before putting in the tank. Is this correct? How would I go about doing this if needed?
My baby's are a southwest carpet ( not ready for his grown up enclosure yet) and a 2year old Stimson
Any help, tips, advice will be greatly appreciated
Cheers :)

Just cut it to size and put it in. You don't need to do anything to it at all. Just make sure it's not a toxic species like Oleander. Despite what you may hear about ticks, mites, bugs, germs, "nasties" (whatever they are...), branches from Aussie trees carry nothing that will harm your critters. Snakes don't wander around the bush swabbing the ground ahead of them with bleach solutions, hot water or anything else...

Jamie

How safe is it to use fresh cut wood (from my neighbors tree) in my enclosure?

Depends on the type of tree it comes from.

I have read somewhere about a 'bleach and water' treatment before putting in the tank. Is this correct?

Not needed. A quick brush off of any loose material is all that is needed.

I would maybe give it a spray with a hose, or maybe leave it in a room overnight. I just say that because I took a tree branch from the park down the road, and despite washing it with diluted bleach water, it had ants in it. And now there are ants in my enclosure, which I cannot get rid of.
Maybe it was a crazy one off, but I'd recommend just washing it down or something.

I would maybe give it a spray with a hose, or maybe leave it in a room overnight. I just say that because I took a tree branch from the park down the road, and despite washing it with diluted bleach water, it had ants in it. And now there are ants in my enclosure, which I cannot get rid of.
Maybe it was a crazy one off, but I'd recommend just washing it down or something.

Is that a branch picked up off the ground? Ants shouldn't be a problem with a freshly cut branch.

So I've managed to cut 3 beautiful pieces :)
Will need to get a little sandpaper to smooth a few rough edges and hopefully they will slot straight in :)

I cut the branches and dry them out for six months before using them. The bark comes off much easier after drying out. After debarking, I f10 then after drying seal the branches with a water based varnish. I varnish so that cleaning/hygiene is easy to maintain. Your snake will defecate on the branches and without the seal, any pathogens present can live and multiply within small cracks etc.

I believe that the precaution should be taken in captivity because animals in the wild are constantly on the move so therefore are not constantly living around their own waste. Pathogens are less likely to survive when subjected to outside conditions as compared to the ideal conditions we provide within our enclosures.

I cut the branches and dry them out for six months before using them. The bark comes off much easier after drying out. After debarking, I f10 then after drying seal the branches with a water based varnish. I varnish so that cleaning/hygiene is easy to maintain. Your snake will defecate on the branches and without the seal, any pathogens present can live and multiply within small cracks etc.

I believe that the precaution should be taken in captivity because animals in the wild are constantly on the move so therefore are not constantly living around their own waste. Pathogens are less likely to survive when subjected to outside conditions as compared to the ideal conditions we provide within our enclosures.

I send mine to Lucas Heights Nuclear facility so they can be bombarded by gamma rays, then I roast them in the oven at 300C for about 36 hours, after which I freeze them for about 8 years, then they're so weak I have to throw them out...

Jamie

I send mine to Lucas Heights Nuclear facility so they can be bombarded by gamma rays, then I roast them in the oven at 300C for about 36 hours, after which I freeze them for about 8 years, then they're so weak I have to throw them out...

Jamie

If there's actually any traces of the branches left, lol.

Last edited:

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I appreciate that we all have different ways of caring for our animals and if you disagree with an individual opinion, state your reasons. Leave the sarcasm for youtube comments.

Regards,
Nick

As you rightly say, Nick, there are different ways of caring for our animals. While I personally lean towards the simpler approach to collecting branches, I see nothing wrong in what you do, as does Jamie. I think I can speak for him and say that while his comment can be viewed as sarcastic, it was more humorous. I am sure there was no malice intended.

Jamie
Do u drive them to the nuclear facility yourself or use a courier?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do u drive them to the nuclear facility yourself or use a courier?

Hi Jamie,

I appreciate that we all have different ways of caring for our animals and if you disagree with an individual opinion, state your reasons. Leave the sarcasm for youtube comments.

Regards,
Nick

Of course everyone is free to do whatever they want in managing their animals, but I get concerned that many of the suggestions here are taken by novices as being necessary to maintaining our animals in good health. Your post indicates clearly what you do, and that's fine, but in reality, none of the steps you take are necessary, as suitable fresh branches pose no danger in either the short or longer term. I neither agree nor disagree, what you do is up to you, but I try to dispel notions that easily take hold, such as the implied danger in untreated wooden decorations.

I certainly get a courier to do the deliveries to Lucas Heights Sheldon - he drives a lead-lined van for extra safety, and it has lead crystal instead of glass for its windows...

Of course everyone is free to do whatever they want in managing their animals, but I get concerned that many of the suggestions here are taken by novices as being necessary to maintaining our animals in good health. Your post indicates clearly what you do, and that's fine, but in reality, none of the steps you take are necessary, as suitable fresh branches pose no danger in either the short or longer term. I neither agree nor disagree, what you do is up to you, but I try to dispel notions that easily take hold, such as the implied danger in untreated wooden decorations.

I certainly get a courier to do the deliveries to Lucas Heights Sheldon - he drives a lead-lined van for extra safety, and it has lead crystal instead of glass for its windows...
Oh ok
And the 300 degrees u cook the wood at is it a conventional oven or fan forced if its conventional then that would mean about 260 in a fan forced or if it is fan forced that would mean around 360 in conventional oven yes ?

Does anyone even use a conventional any more.??
Would a microwave be just as useful? Or does it need to be in the oven? I'm just wondering about those who don't have the time to wait for 300 hours :D
:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back