Fresh Cut Wood

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone even use a conventional any more.??
Would a microwave be just as useful? Or does it need to be in the oven? I'm just wondering about those who don't have the time to wait for 300 hours :D
:D:D:D
Nah its already been to the nuclear facility so a microwave isn't needed in this case. Plus it might be unsafe to put it in the enclosure if its been in a microwave.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Of course everyone is free to do whatever they want in managing their animals, but I get concerned that many of the suggestions here are taken by novices as being necessary to maintaining our animals in good health. Your post indicates clearly what you do, and that's fine, but in reality, none of the steps you take are necessary, as suitable fresh branches pose no danger in either the short or longer term. I neither agree nor disagree, what you do is up to you, but I try to dispel notions that easily take hold, such as the implied danger in untreated wooden decorations.

I certainly get a courier to do the deliveries to Lucas Heights Sheldon - he drives a lead-lined van for extra safety, and it has lead crystal instead of glass for its windows...

Do you use unsealed timber anywhere else in your enclosures?

Talking about unsealed timber is different to talking about untreated branches.

Do you use unsealed timber anywhere else in your enclosures?

There's quite a difference between structural and decorative perching/climbing "timbers." I wouldn't call branches "timber" in any way, sure both are wood, but for practical reasons such as cleaning or waterproofing where dampness may persist, causing rot or mould, sealing is important. Branches may occasionally need a bit of a scrub if they get grubby, but that's not common, or I can just replace them with fresh ones after a couple of months or more (usually much more). I think it's nice to put fresh, natural smelling things in the enclosures from time to time, instead of the constant use of and exposure to synthetic materials and coatings, all of which outgas, especially when warmed, into an almost closed environment, to a greater or lesser extent, for very long periods of time. You've probably heard of "sick building syndrome" - well, multiply that thousands-fold in a small enclosed and heated snake tank, and consider the implications for the inhabitant. This is probably far more dangerous in the long-term for the resident animal than the very small likelihood of a pathogen on a branch causing health problems. Where I live on the mid-north coast, there are pythons that have lived in roof-spaces (in harmony with the householders) for many years, and are surrounded by their own crap and shed skins, but remain in perfect health.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back