Friday night trip

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Did my usual night trip though to Colondale ranges. Not many herps, only 3 snakes and a pink-tongue but loads of furballs including a female (they are all female at this time of year) antechinus with two near-term young on her back and loads of deer. Drove back along a new path I mapped out on google earth, the photos made it look like a good road. Very glad it was bone dry as I would proberly still be there, you could see that the road would become steep slopes of mud when wet.

Anyhow I think the spider is a forest funnel web, I have my extra thick hide on in case I'm wrong :)

Attachments

• Dsc_1918.jpg
    Dsc_1918.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Dsc_1917.jpg
    Dsc_1917.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 97
The snakes.
The coastal wanted a piece of me, she was about the same size and shape as my female wp (1.2-1.4) who looks the same after feeding on a large rat.
The last SES had a cream belly, I'm starting to wonder if these stocky SES I'm seeing are actually C. boschmai

Attachments

• Dsc_1930.jpg
    Dsc_1930.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Dsc_1939.jpg
    Dsc_1939.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Dsc_1948.jpg
    Dsc_1948.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Dsc_1958.jpg
    Dsc_1958.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 91
female ... antechinus with two near-term young on her back and loads of deer
How many deer were on her back?

The last SES had a cream belly, I'm starting to wonder if these stocky SES I'm seeing are actually C. boschmai

Probably not. Cream bellies in eastern small-eyed snakes aren't uncommon.

Eastern small-eyed snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) from Theodore, Qld. Caught under permit.

The two species are easy to tell apart if you look at their heads.

Have you ever seen any southern dwarf crowned snakes (Cacophis krefftii) up there? That's one of three SE Qld species of snake I'm yet to see (not including blind or sea snakes).

Stewart

Nice tarantula......looks selenocosmia ?? poss male ? can i take a copy & send it to a friend ? i know youve got alot of T's there that still havent been described, not to mention the ones that havent been discovered yet.

Probably not. Cream bellies in eastern small-eyed snakes aren't uncommon.
going by the images you kindly supplied, its a SES

Have you ever seen any southern dwarf crowned snakes (Cacophis krefftii) up there? That's one of three SE Qld species of snake I'm yet to see (not including blind or sea snakes).

Stewart
Not yet, they should be there as I pass though there habitat. I will, of course, keep an eye out. Next planned trip is Tuesday, but I think the missus just canceled it.

BTW, how do you see Burtons Legless (aside from buying him doubles)?

going by the images you kindly supplied, its a SES

The image you have above is definitely of an eastern small-eyed snake. I think the Conondales are too rainforesty for carpentaria snakes.

I've seen Burton's legless lizards while walking around (both at night and during the day) and in the bottom of pit-traps. But most of the ones I've seen have been on roads at night.

Stewart

You will see more Burtons and Scalyfoots 6 to 3 nights before the full moon. Have seen 5 Scaly's and 2 Burtons the last 2 nights

ive seen them with a cream belly likethat before , and with a lime and bluish tinge as well ,

Trust me spend enough time in the field the novalty of seeing a Burtons will soon wear off, they are a very commonly seen animal in a large distribution, though variety of color morphs are interesting.

I have seen heaps of Small Eyeds with cream bellies like that, almost more than pink bellies, especially in Mapleton.
Still going for a drive tonight?
I definitely am after this heat, should be good.

How many deer were on her back?

Probably not. Cream bellies in eastern small-eyed snakes aren't uncommon.Have you ever seen any southern dwarf crowned snakes (Cacophis krefftii) up there? That's one of three SE Qld species of snake I'm yet to see (not including blind or sea snakes).

Stewart

great ID post Stewart, nice to see some explanation and pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back