Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyscott

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My 1st clutch of Frilled Neck eggs for the season was a bit over due,
I decided to pip an egg to see to see what was going on.
When I couldnt see movement, I decided to cut it right open to check it out.

The poor little hatchy was dead in the egg, I checked the rest, with the same result.
What I think went wrong, is that in the 1st 10 to 14 days of incubation the humidity was to low.
Causing the eggs to harden just that little too much for the bubs to break free themselves.
If you have a close look at pic 5, you can see that the egg tooth has been worn or broken off,
This is why I feel it may have been a humidity problem from the start.

If you have any other thoughts, Please share them.

As you can see in attached photos.
pic 1, The last of the yoke hardened in the egg.
pic 2, The left over yoke taken from the egg.
pic 3 & 4, The 1st deceased hatchy.
pic 5, Close up of the snout, either worn or broken off egg tooth.

Attachments

• df 1.jpg
    df 1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 230
  • df 2.jpg
    df 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 221
  • df 3.jpg
    df 3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 279
  • df 4.jpg
    df 4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 295
  • df 5.jpg
    df 5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 342
What was the incubation method? (Over water, vermiculite?)

I tried out the SIM tubs, so it was over water.
The eggs were incubated at 29.7 degrees, with a point 2 degree variable (29.5 to 29.9).

geckos_are_great aww im sad now. did she lay another clutch ???

Yes she triple clutched this year, 2nd clutch only has 6 fertile eggs though.
The 3rd was all unfertile. so fingers crossed on the 6 from the 2nd (due in 3 to 5 days).

I tried out the SIM tubs, so it was over water.

Yes she triple clutched this year, 2nd clutch only has 6 fertile eggs though.
The 3rd was all unfertile. so fingers crossed on the 6 from the 2nd (due in 3 to 5 days).
So do you blame the tubs for the humidity problems?
(I edited my last post, sorry)

Thanks Gex

So do you blame the tubs for the humidity problems?
(I edited my last post, sorry)

Thanks Gex

The tubs didnt seem to hold humidity well at the start.
I have since modified them and played around with a few methods.
I will give them another chance next season.

It would be interesting to see how you answer that? As far as i know you have been the only one with an issue with the tubs. I asked you to post pictures of your set up in the other thread that you started about the issues you have been having with the tubs. You never did. Andy, did you take photos during the incubation process of the tubs? Did you measure the humidity in the tubs? Did you you use a hovabator or any similar incubator where the heating is from the top?

Just for the record, I am not attacking you in any way. Would just like to see how you used the tubs? I already posted photos of my tubs with hygrometers measuring between 96%-98% humidity inside the tubs.

Yes Nicole you have posted pictures.

You also posted a thread (with pictures) with all your eggs cut open a few days from full term.
You had cut 20 cent size holes in your eggs and the reason you gave for doing this,
was that you lost a full clutch of Albinos the year before.

You stated that the hatchies died in the egg at full term, they were also unable the pip themselves.

Im in no way attacking you either.

Read the thread again. I have never used these tubs before this season. They were only released late last year. I will post some more photos of just how much condensation these tubs produce along with pictures of some other lizards hatching in them. You will notice how much moisture is in the tubs. I have had no dramas with these tubs retaining humidity. This leads me to believe that it's not the tub, but the setup that causes the fluctuation in the container.

It is also a fact that the manufacture of these tubs came on the site and STATED that the lids may need to be microwaved for a few seconds, so as to form a better seal.

This info was to late for my 1st clutch (already 40 odd days in) and I already noticed the problem.

Its my fault though, I put to much faith in the product.

Can you tell me with all honesty Nicole, that you have never microwaved a lid to get a better fit.
If you say no to that, after your supplier has stated that it may be needed to be done, well.............

DSC02482-1.jpg

DSC02461-1.jpg

DSC02487-1.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02554-1.jpg

DSC02555-1.jpg

DSC02557-1.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

DSC02560-1.jpg

No I actually just run the lid under some hot water? The lid is pliable and moulds over the edge of the lid when warm. I had one customer inquire about a lid that did not fit properly. He put it in hot water and that solved the lid issue. These lids are made to be pliable so it has a better fit on the top of the tub. I hatched everything I had in these tubs. We even hatched eggs that might have been a little to big for them! I had water dripping on my eggs from the lid, and they still hatched. I am sorry your faith in the product is shattered! It helps to keep an open mind about it though. maybe its not the tubs.

Please let me know what kind of incubator you are using. Top heated "chicken egg" incubators such as Little Giant, Hovabator are top heated and do not build up humidity in the SIM. Bottom heated and or air circulated incubators are what we see folks hatching eggs in. This may or may not be the case. I am sorry your eggs went as far as they did and did not pip.

John

Thanks for the input John. I use side heated and fan forced incubators for incubation purposes. It seems then than it might be the incubator you used then. You mentioned to me that you were using a repta incubator that works in exactly the same way as a hovabator. An element above the tub might be causing the evaporation to form in the bottom of the tub, thus keeping the medium wet. Did you use any medium in the tub Andy or just water? I can't remember. Any ideas why this might be happening John?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back