Frog Colour Change and sexing.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have some Sedge Frogs (Litoria Fallax) in my mixed frog enclosure, one of them changes from time to time. It started out as bright green and has turned up as a dark navy green/motley purple.
Is this a sign of sexual maturity (they're adult size) or just a survival technique.

Frogs change colour for camouflage and many other reasons, I have had male and female frogs change colour so I doubt its a sexual maturity thing. I could be wrong though.

i dont know if its a sexual maturity thing but plays no role in sexing. How many you got?

Just the two :)
Got them from a friend of a friend who had no idea what she was doing.
I want to know how to sex them.

i found it easy with mine. Female was more plump and the males throat was a bit saggy compared to the female. How long have you had them. Any croaking?

Hey Jannico, speciemens of L. fallax do change their colours quickly and drastically as I've seen it myself. I don't think anyone could answer with conviction why exactly they do so, however it could be stimulated by conditions or a change in biochemistry. Males will call out 'reeek..pip', so keep an ear out and check which has a semi inflated throat to determine which is calling.

I've heard some croaking and had a look at there throats, so I'm pretty sure I know which is the female and which is the male.
Thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back