Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogdor1988

Reaction score
Hi all out today and found these 2 little guys sitting next to each other in soft dirt under a rotten log, grabbed some pics so i could get an i.d when i got home just forgot to post lol, if anyone can help it would be great, i think there burrowing frogs of some kind when i picked the one i think is male up he start trying to dig into my hand with his back feet lol.

Male?
IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

Female?
IMG_1330.jpg

The second one was so cute, she was like a fat little orange ball lol. when i put them back down the walked back under all this rotten wood together and i found em together hence why i think there a pair.

At a guess I'd say it was an Ornate Burrowing-frog (Limnodynastes ornatus). But that is only a guess.

oh so they guessed right lol, sweet. gorgeous little frogs they were. do you know if im right about one being male the other female? or do they all have different colours like that how one is plain orange-ish and the other has markings kinda like a toad?. also do these come up for sale ever, they were great little things when i picked em up to get em to sit still so i could get a pic they just tried to burrow into my hand then just sat there very cool fat little fellas lol.

oh so they guessed right lol, sweet. gorgeous little frogs they were. do you know if im right about one being male the other female? or do they all have different colours like that how one is plain orange-ish and the other has markings kinda like a toad?. also do these come up for sale ever, they were great little things when i picked em up to get em to sit still so i could get a pic they just tried to burrow into my hand then just sat there very cool fat little fellas lol.

I think they sat so still because that is what they do. Dig a hole, eat and grow fat. LOL.

Hey Australis, what was the correct Genus?

Its actually Opisthodon ornatus

Cheers,
Scott

Man, why do they have to change things. Just like the scrubby.

I have it in a book ated 2007 as Limnodynastes ornatus.

Just wish they would leave things alone. LOL

which book the paper that caused the revision was published in 2006

Cheers,
Scott

You bought it last year what edition was it and when was it published......reprints don't have new info, while new editions incorperate changes.

Eg Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by Weigel....is terrible for typo's.....its been reprinted probably 10 times now and its never been fixed, even the captions are either mispelt or incorrect...eg Pseudechis nuchalis, The Western Brown Snake (Pseudechis is the black snake genus) ...it should read Pseudonaja nuchalis, The Western Brown Snake

CHeers,
Scott

While we are talking about new species....since Wilson & Swan came out this year there has been 3 new leaf tails described, a new Oedura, 2 new Ctenotus and about 20 new Cryptoblepharus.

Taxonomy is a constantly changing science with updates in MT DNA analysis and sequencing thing are constantly changing and will do for a long time ahead.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back