Frog ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumala

Reaction score
this funky little guy was in one of the chickens water dishes. Luckily it was only chicks and not the full grown hens :eek: I wouldn't have liked his chances.
Any ideas?

and no I didn't get out the white nikko pen or photoshop the pic before anyone asks :p
cheers
Ange

Jusat looked on frogsaustralia.net.au

Looks like a
Limnodynastes peronii
Family: Myobatrachidae
Common names: Striped Marshfrog; Brown-striped Frog; Brown Frog

Looks like what we call a rocket frog not sure though as i am not into the scientific names of froggys but i love em all .and its def not a cane toad ........RBB

Possibly an ornate burrowing frog Opisthodon ornata. They don't normally have rough skin, but a friend of mine just told me it's not uncommon. Where did you take the pic?

Stewart

Last edited:
That should be Opisthodon ornatus. i thought they'd changed the gender of the specific epithet when they moved the species from Limnodynastes to Opisthodon, but apparently they didn't.

Stewart

the photo was taken in Gordonvale, south of Cairns. It was only about 2cm long. I didn't think it was an ornate burrowing because it was not rotund with a blunt nose. However it did have the digging tubercule on the sole of its back feet. So cheers Stewart, I'll go with that. Damn that means my husbands guess was right - no way I'm telling him though >:)
Thanks for the replies

We've always called them banjo frogs. They make a funny "donk" noise late at night.

It is definately Opisthodon ornatus, the ornate burrowing frog. Not a cane toad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back