Frog poo - something is not right! Help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosequoll

Reaction score
Disclaimer to start, vet will be called in the AM.

Frog is a magnificent tree frog morph. Fed on crickets, right size, frog in a bare bottomed tank (for cleaning) with three water dishes (with rocks) and a plant. Humidity is kept high, temps are correct (HIGH, they need to be MUCH warmer than greens).

I know the actual care is correct, I'm more wondering if anyone has any experience with weird poop.

Started out when I first got her with normal little pellet poo, like any other frogs. I mist regularly so they were always wet, but they were at least 90% normal (as compared to my Peron's tree frog poo).

Recently the frog has started having much wetter poo which is a light tan colour (think, same colour as a small cricket). No undigested pieces, just runny and VERY light colour. I thought at first it was coinciding with the calcium powdered cricket feeds, but it's persisted for a week.

Frog is not LOSING weight, but is now no longer gaining weight.

She pood today on the scales when I went to weigh her, and this is why I'm asking here for help; it STUNK. It was nauseatingly disgusting, which to me screams some sort of internal problem since frog poo is normally musty smelling but not bad.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions or experience? Vet is close and will be contacted ASAP tomorrow.

Thanks. I hope so too. I actually got a few more and lost a couple right at the start, figured it was stress and temps in transport (they were quite small) but now I'm scared something else is wrong. Hopefully have a answer tomorrow.

These frogs confuse me. Got a fecal sample this morning,vet appointment for this afternoon.

Little guy hasn't lost weight (according to gram scales) in a week, but he LOOKS thinner. He hunted for a cricket this morning, missed, squashed it, then gave up andwent to sleep. Seems to have serious trouble climbing up the wall, but can climb up rough textures okay.

Big girl went from 6 grams last night to EIGHT grams today, looks like she shoveled down about 12 crickets on her own last night, and another one this morning, but her poo this morning was still toxic goo. UGH.

Hopefully the vet bill doesn't kill me. o.o;;

Okay, vet done, turns out the remaining morphs have a VERY high load of worm eggs (which may very well mean a large load of worms, but they're currently only shedding eggs in the fecal matter). Vet is pretty sure in saying that they would have been sent to me WITH worms.

Thinking a combination of worms as well as being told the incorrect temperature to keep them at (most care sheets reckon to keep Mags at the same temps as Green tree's, NOT TRUE!) contributed to the loss of the first few and the decline of these. I've sent a polite but honest email to the breeder expressing my dissapointment, explaining the costs I've incurred and letting her know that she should probably test and worm her morphs as well as suggest to anyone else that purchased some that they get fecal tests done as well.

Live and learn. Just wish these situations weren't so freaking heartbreaking!

Have wormers now, doing a clean of the cage (removing all waste each morning and night) and then will treat these guys. Hopefully I can bring the sickly one back up and prevent the bigger one from declining further.

Last edited:
Just updating this more as a place to vent I guess. Emailed the breeder, got a pretty defensive email back but I did my best to be polite. Was offered a refund which I've accepted, so we'll see if I actually get that.

Lost the smaller(sicker) frog tonight. Larger frog is holding weight but not gaining and not pooping. Will be picking up some stuff tomorrow for a soak to see if I can get some electrolytes into her system and get her 'moving' again. Colour is still good and bright still at least. We'll see how we go. Vet again on Friday, as long as I can get another fecal sample to check.

Sorry to hear about this. Sad that you've lost some already, but my well wishes go out to you for the female. And yeah it's very heartbreaking, but some things are beyond your help when they're too far gone. Worms are nasty things. Sorry you're having a tough time with it.

Last frog is now going downhill. Not eating, no poo, and weight is heading downhill. Done some soaks and sadly they don't seem to be helping, so if she keeps going downhill I'll have her put down on Friday rather than having her suffer (as long as the vet feels there's nothing more we can do).

Breeder offered me a refund and it's been almost a week now,; no refund in my bank account. Not sure what the hell to do from here. (Rhetorical, I'm just venting, this sucks!!!)

Sorry to hear, Rose...unfortunately frogs are one of the most common herps to be illegally wild caught and on-sold, due to how easy it is to explain away juveniles as being captive bred. Sorry I didn't see this thread when you posted, the nightmare poop is a dead giveaway for worms, as they eat all the digestible stuff and leave behind the toxic gunk you saw.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a refund. Hope this hasn't put you off frogs, there are quite a few very good breeders on the forum.

Thank you. Hasn't put me off frogs at all. I have 5 beautiful peronii that are doing great but it's just been heartbreaking. I have a friend that has some young magnificents and has already offered me some once hers breed, so I'll get there in the end.

What kills me more than anything is the thought that these guys have suffered, despite all my efforts. This is why, if the vet feels that there's nothing more we can do, I'll have the last one put down on Friday. It's better than the slow decline and death of the others.

With the refund, if I don't get it, oh well. I actually didn't ask for one, but she offered so I guess that's the only reason I'm annoyed. I hate when people say they'll do something and then just never bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back