Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day All,

Yesterday we made a fairly disorganised spur-of-the-moment trip to Nyngan to check out the areas affected by heavy rainfall and floods. Of course, this is the first really heavy rains the region has experienced in about 7 years. It was a forgone conclusion that we were going to get frogs... The only question was which type, and how many!

When we were approaching Nyngan there were promising pools of water between the train tracks and the road. Many of the neighbouring paddocks were flodded as well.

DSCN7644.jpg

DSCN7645.jpg

When we arrived the Bogan River was right up at the edge of the banks.
DSCN7560.jpg

One of the first species we found was the fairly unmistakable Green Tree Frog Litoria caerulea. They were calling from any hollow available. Calling from the ground were large numbers of Desert Tree Frogs Litoria rubellla
DSCN7561.jpg

DSCN7562.jpg

Another species that was calling from around teh flooded areas was the Rugose Toadlat Uperolia rugosa.
DSCN7565.jpg

The Barking Marsh Frog Limnodynastes fletcheri looks superficially similar to Limnodynastes tasmaniensis but is much bulkier with a different call. These were also common around inundated grass areas.
DSCN7576.jpg

The common Crinia species out around Nyngan is Crinia parasignifera. These are tiny (like most crinia) and are everywhere.

DSCN7573.jpg

The best finds of the trip were the waterholding species. The most common of which was Neobatrachus sudelli. They were found all over the roads when driving from site to site at night, and often seen and heard calling from the water.
DSCN7589.jpg

DSCN7597.jpg

Another spectacular species we found was Cyclorana verrucosa. We found this specimen in the middle of the road. We didn't find any calling from the water.
DSCN7632.jpg

DSCN7628.jpg

The best known burrowing frog is the "Water holding frog" or Cyclorana platycephala that has mastered the art of staying underground for long periods. Apparently they only come out of the ground after very heavy rain. A really amazing looking frog. Glad we found this one!
DSCN7610.jpg

DSCN7626.jpg

The other spectacular species we found is Notoden bennetti, better known as the Southern Holy Cross Frog.
It looks like Jabba-the-hut crossed with a piece of Aboriginal dot painting.
DSCN7620.jpg

DSCN7617.jpg

DSCN7611.jpg

A great trip. Western NSW is a great place to visit! We didnt' get a few species, but I think next time we'll have to head out towards Macquarie Marshes for species like Lim. salmini and Lim. interioris. Possibly spend longer up there and spend a day searching for permanent water holes as well.

All the best,

-H

you dogged me :( hahaha im jealous): well go out soon with out grant. sounds good
hope to see all those and more ay.
good finds

awww that frog is soooo adorable!! the last one..

almost as adorable as....

haha

Nat ;)

What a mind blowingly amazing set of photos! Awsome!!! That last one is amazing!!!

thats some kickass frog finding

frogs 4 LIFE

i would love to see some of these underground species
i havent seen any yet

i did find a spot where theres some red crowned toadlets yesterday though

great photos, i too am a shire dwelling nancy, unfortunately :( i bet theres some cool frogs just past the borders, but im not game enough to leave.

omg, can you keep the Notoden bennetti as pets? I want some! they look awsome! any breeders :p

Unreal mate, particularly like the platycephala and bennetti. Almost makes me feel like going for a walk down the road ;)

Have to visit my cultural roots one day, Bogan River :lol:
Jordan

Notoden bennetti
What an awesome looking species. So jealous, congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back