FROGS! - Anything frog related.

Discussion in 'Other Australian Reptiles and Amphibians' started by CrazyNut, Apr 14, 2016.

1. CrazyNut

CrazyNut Well-Known Member

Anyone elese here love frogs? Been planning on getting some for a while haha haven't kept any for a LONG time (at least 5 years possibly 6). I had a brown tree frog when I was little, very cool little guy, can't remeber what happened to him, think he escaped. Pretty cool little fella. I'm getting some Litoria citropa in a few weeks and maybe some banjos or barred frogs (really loved barred frogs!) after that. I really want some froglets sadley though the three sp I can keep are rare in the hobby. Speaking of Banjo frogs, anyone know care info?

What species does everyone keep? I assume the common whites tree frog is a popular choice. I've always prefered white lips over whites tree frog, and still prefer the smaller sp over white lips, though I like white lips because of their impressive size.

2. Nero Egernia

Nero Egernia Subscriber Subscriber

I used to catch and raise tadpoles to frogs many times when I was a kid. Species I remember keeping were Spotted Burrowing Frogs (Heleiporus albopunctatus), Western Banjo Frogs (Limnodynastes dorsalis) and Spotted Thighed Frogs (Litoria cyclorhyncha). I think the Spotted Thighed Frog was classified as a subspecies to the Motorbike Frog (Litoria moorie)? The Spotted Thighed Frogs are very common, you can generally hand feed the adults, not so much the youngsters as they are more shy. One of them wanted to eat my fingers once.

These are some photos from years back.

SpottedThighLittle.jpg
    SpottedThigh.jpg

SpottedThigh.jpg

SpottedThighLittle.jpg

Snapped, Foozil, mlwdrt and 1 other person like this.
  3. krisrtnz

krisrtnz New Member

I really want to keep a frog but ive got no idea where to find one in QLD, does anyone know what the rules are or where to find one?

4. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

Join the "Frog and Tadpole Study Group of NSW" on FB. They have members from all over the place and someone there might be able to help.

Cheers,

George.

mlwdrt likes this.
  5. Nero Egernia

Dug up another photo of a Spotted Thighed Frog. I loved photographing these guys when I was in my early teens. I thought this was one of my best photos in terms of clarity.

Awesomefrog.jpg

Awesomefrog.jpg

Foozil and Stompsy like this.
  6. eipper

eipper Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

Pick up my book on frogs;)

Stuart, mlwdrt and herplover81 like this.
  7. CrazyNut

Send me a free copy :p haha was going to buy a copy at the VHS expo this year. Want the dragon and monitor book by Danny Brown as well.

8. BredliFreak

BredliFreak Well-Known Member

It's a great little book CN. My little bro gave me it for my bday and now I owe him big-time :lol:

9. CrazyNut

Haha. Also nearly bought Adom Elliot's Python book (I met him at the VHS dinner, looked over the python book, he was given a copy to Romulous). Flicked through your frog book Eipper, haven't looked ta your other one though. I want all of them lol (the 2 books by Adom, 2 books by Eipper and the rest of Danny Browns books). If Danny Browns geckos and pygopods book is anything to go off than all those books are top notch! Lol

10. Nero Egernia

You don't see these guys very often. Slender Tree Frog (Litoria adelaidensis). Beautiful little frogs.

slenderfrog4.jpg
    slenderfrog1.jpg

slenderfrog1.jpg

slenderfrog4.jpg

Foozil, mlwdrt and Stompsy like this.
  11. Buggster

Buggster Well-Known Member

used to love going out and watching the tadpoles in the fresh water streams we had here. Did my fair share of rescuing frogs from drowning in pools to! Not to mentioned water skinks as well... They jump in just fine, but they can't seem to get out!

12. stuffandthat

stuffandthat Not so new Member

I need some inspiration as I'm redoing my GTF enclosure. Post your pics of your setups!

13. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

Nothing too flash, 3X2X2 arboreal Reptile One enclosure, needs to be easy to clean as frogs make a mess and need to be cleaned weekly.
    2013-11-15.jpg

Snapped likes this.
  14. Sonni

Sonni New Member

Ooooooh, which book would that be please?

15. Scutellatus

Scutellatus Well-Known Member

A Guide to Australian Frogs in Captivity by Scott Eipper

16. Flaviemys purvisi

My Aussie frog bible. Well worth the $$$
    20180311_142904.jpg 20180311_142852.jpg

17. Mick666

Mick666 Active Member

frogs terrify me. but only the green ones. i can pick up cane toads and other coloured frogs. but if it's green my heart starts racing. i think it's called ranidaphobia. I have to get my son to catch them so i can relocate them to a far away place, little buggers are like homing pigeons.

18. Flaviemys purvisi

Why relocate frogs?? Their presence in your area is a good thing. I get the whole fear thing, everyone has a phobia of something (mine's needles) but I doubt they're coming into your bedroom at night and jumping on your face. Hehe.

This big girl is one of 2 that visit my outdoor woody bin most nights for a free feed. Frogs have always been my fave creature, since I was 6 years old.
    20170128_232121.jpg

Here is her noisy boyfriend who makes a racket every night from mid November to February.
    20171202_210723.jpg

Whenever it rains, they get busy in my undercover BBQ area.
    20170102_200839.jpg

I built a small pond in the back garden for them back in December whilst on holidays, using a secondhand bathtub I bought off Gumtree for $20. I caught the female soaking in it during a storm about a month ago so hopefully they'll use it to breed in later this year rather than my neighbour's chlorine pool.

Ashleyyedwards7 likes this.
  19. Mick666

Mick666 Active Member

There's still plenty here, I don't think we could get rid of all of them. you can hear heaps when it rains.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018, Original Post Date: Apr 13, 2018 ---
    these two are at a mates house, they live in a down pipe and come out every night for a feed, one of them waits at the door if he's hungry. they just made a heap of tadpoles. their names are Hulk and Tidlick.

IMG_20170621_200019_109.jpg

20. Flaviemys purvisi

Very nice specimens.