FROGS! - Anything frog related.

Discussion in 'Other Australian Reptiles and Amphibians' started by CrazyNut, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Mick666

Mick666 Not so new Member

I may have a phobia of them, but I can still enjoy them from a safe distance. I was brave enough to snap that photo, but that's as close as i'll get.

2. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

Lol. People are scared of such ridiculous things. I am deathly afraid of moths which is also ridiculous.

One of my colleagues in Townsville hated green tree frogs so much that she’d pour dettol on them to kill them. I tried everything to get her to see how cruel it was but she never listened. I was very close to calling the rspca on her too but it probably wouldn’t have done any good.

GhoulGecko likes this.
  3. GhoulGecko

GhoulGecko Not so new Member

Tsk Tsk. I think that is exceptionally cruel.
    Who would kill this?

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 2.42.53 pm.png

4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Very Well-Known Member

I've admittedly sprayed hundreds of cane toads throughout the Sunshine Coast hinterland with detol... nothing stops them quicker. Causes instant toxic shock syndrome. But frogs... that's really sad.

Foozil and Ropey like this.
  5. Murph_BTK

Murph_BTK Well-Known Member

Cane toads.... I admit I've sprayed 1000s with a 9 iron.. * please no hate.. it's just a fact..

Instagram: murph_BTK

Foozil and Aussiepride83 like this.
  6. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Very Well-Known Member

My club of choice was always a Pitching Wedge when I used to live in a house that backed onto the Golf course at Canungra. That was many many years ago now though.

7. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

We used to have competitions when driving home from weekly events on the Sunshine Coast of who could pop more with their wheels. Gotta be really careful they aren’t greens though.

Pretty sure that’s quicker than any dettol.

Murph_BTK likes this.
  8. Mick666

Mick666 Not so new Member

I wouldn't kill frogs just because I'm scared of them. My son catches them and we drive them far away and release them. Also, It amazes me how many people laugh at me for being scared of frogs and then when you challenge them to pick up a big one, they chicken out and won't go near it.

Bl69aze likes this.
  9. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 APS Veteran APS Veteran

My twin sister suffers from the same phobia of moths. If a moth flies anywhere near her she immediately becomes hysterical. Yet she is an animal person and has no fear of lizards or snakes and quite happily tolerates spiders living on the inside of her house in the window recesses. Flying moths however produce uncontrollable anxiety and panic in her.

Phobias are not generated through rationale pathways and therefore cannot be addressed through rational discussion or reasoning. They require appropriate psychotherapy and sometimes drugs to assist the process of desensitisation. So while people may scoff at you @Mick666, they do so in ignorance or in hiding from you their own phobias which they do not wish to admit to. A majority of people have a phobia of something but most are very good at avoiding it so as not to disclose it to others. Unfortunately that is actually not a healthy attitude to have. Stompsy has a much healthier attitude as you yourself do.

With respect to killing cane toads in areas where they are established, one word come to mind and that is “futile”. It might make you feel like you are helping the natural environment but in actual fact such efforts are entirely pointless, It make no difference at all in the end. At best all you are doing is reducing intraspecific competition between toads and making the run for the remaining toads a little easier.

That aside, what digital photos I have of frogs are limited and not great quality but I will see if I can find some…