From Heat in Melbourne Victoria heat lamp not coming on is this OK?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yossi

Reaction score
Hey my auto thermometer is set to come on at 23deg and off at 26.5
It's been in the, 30s for a few days now and I haven't seen the heat lamp come on I was wondering is this OK or does my snake need to bask or will she be just fine as the temperature is high enough for her she seems absolutely fine and active and all I was just wondering
She's a bredli python by the way.

_20171120_202157.JPG

Hmmmm, @Yossi isn't 26 Deg a bit too cool for a Bredli?? I thought for good digestion of food they needed a temp range of between 31-33 deg C, i have been wrong before.
ndemx0bziv-gif.322035

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

I've had for for nearly a year now and she has been pretty well shed's have been good she feeds just fine haven't had an issue seems pretty happy always digests her food well
Was just curious on does she need the hest lamp when it's 30+deg air temp
I just offered her a rat and she took it like usual so I'm guessing she is just fine

It's hard to gauge things accurately just going by the ambient temp. If you point one of those laser thermometers at the snake's basking spot, you'll get a much better idea of what's going on. The ambient temp will definitely have an influence but it's not a good overall indication..

Yossi, if you have a thermostat, the heat won't come on if the ambient temp is high, however you do need to increase the temp setting on the thermostat. It still won't come on if the room temp is too high, it will be better for your python in the long run with its health.

For almost a week now the heat on most of enclosures has been off for a few hours each afternoon. Ambient will have a significant impact on whether or not your heat source turns on.
It would suggest that your thermostat is doing its job, just a shame you don't know what the actual temp under the heat source is. The thermostat is NOT an accurate means of measuring the actual temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back