from mice to rats.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python119

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hello. i have a scrubby hatchling that will only eat mice.
what have people found to be the best way to get a snake to go from mice to rats.
thanks in advance.

try scenting the rat with the mouse . defrost them in the same bag also give him a slightly smaller mouse and as soon as that has been eaten try him on the rat if he's got a good feeding response it should smash it

I breed my own, so i just put a rat in the mouse cage for a while.
also follow feeding can work

whne the snake is just about to swallow the tail end of the mouse gently put the head of the rat in its mouse.. thats what i am doing with my diamond though he still wont eat a rat first at lease hes getting some in his diet

I have also scented rats with a mouse. I have always just rubbed the rat and mouse together. I give them a good rubbing over initially and then lessen the amount of contact with each feed after. Hasn't failed for me yet.

for myself al i done was bump up the temps a little bit higer a week prior and let there feed day go over a few more then normal and mine all 4 of them smashed the rats and have not looked back i dont know if i striked it lucky or the method i was told to do before offering the rat has helped and made them extra hungry but this worked well for me or as others have said scenting usualy works a treat

good luck

for mine,i just thawed a mouse in the same water as the rats and they took the rats immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back