Frontline on snakes for mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivermectin is a sheep dip, I can't believe how many people prefer it over things like bird mite and lice spray.
These are suggestions only for people like me who don't have access to TOD. I can only get it if I order it, no one here stocks it. I knew people who recommended Mortein fly spray to kill parasites on ALL animals.... now that's just messed UP

....don't get any more new snakes, don't do breeding loans...Bob's your uncle
And treat all nearby wild herps. If , like me, you have a large colony of AHGs in your place then they will act as a mite reservoir...

Since that is not possible , every time I clean out a cage I treat it with reptile-guard. Seems to work

Ive used frontline on adults & yearlings, not just morelia either, & Ive never encountered any after effects from using it .
Last year I used 3-4 drops (spread out along the length) on a 7ft female .........& if its a small snake then just 1 drop. Never needed to repeat the dose as it always cure's the problem.
(plus i water some down & spray the viv, then leave it 24hrs before the snake is put back in)

Has anyone seen first hand any problems associated with spraying TOD with the snake still in the enclosure?

Ivermectin is highly toxic to say the least and i would not ever consider using it on a reptile.

Permetherin on the other hand,(a synthetic form of pyretherin), is far safer and will kill mite and eggs with only one application, if used properly one treatment is all that is needed.
Just a pity that the standard orange medic is not available any more as it was magic stuff for the treatment of mite.

Has anyone seen first hand any problems associated with spraying TOD with the snake still in the enclosure?
Yes a mate had used it in a enclosure with the animal inside,he only used a small amount and it ended up with no muscle control and had to be put down.And yes i wish orange medic was the same old stuff as it worked great.I use diluted bleach to kill the eggs and any little buggers that are crawling around.

Yes a mate had used it in a enclosure with the animal inside,he only used a small amount and it ended up with no muscle control and had to be put down.And yes i wish orange medic was the same old stuff as it worked great.I use diluted bleach to kill the eggs and any little buggers that are crawling around.

Nasty.. Anyone else had probs?

Iv used it before, but sprayed a burst or two into each corner of the tank, then a few smsll sprays around the outside joins of the tank. Then put the snake back in straight afterwards. There is no need to treat the snake directly with TOD, in my experience anyway. I would never even contemplate 'fogging' the tank with the snake still in there. I dont trust it THAT much!! (and IMO its just not needed for a sucessful treatment)

Im wondering if we could get more details on how the animal mentioned above was treated? It is concerning to hear a story like that.. Iv not heard of anyones snake dying after the use of TOD until now

synthetic pyrethrins are toxic to cats so dont go spraying TOD around them

Aus Sheps, rough collies and borders have Ivermectin sensitivites so Frontline shouldnt even be used on them (Selemectin)

I still prefer TOD to anything else safety wise.

Do not use spot on on reptiles. It has chemicals in it for ticks which is poisionous to cats and other animals if ingested. Use the spray. It can be used on very young pups and kittens, as well as rabbits etc and goes off the weight of the animal. Spray the chemical AWAY from the animal, on your hands or a cloth and rub it onto the animal or cover the face with a cloth and spray the animal so the reptile doesn't inhale the spray.
Even better still you can use fido's free itch rinse in a spray form or Bird mite and lice spray works wonders. Again us these items in a well ventilated area and make sure they don't inhale the spray. For applying to the head/face use a cloth that has been soaked in the chemicals.

what your thinking about is ADVANTIX not frontline.. frontline is aproprite for dogs/cats/rabbits etc. and frontline doesnt do ticks. their tests prooved negetive.

frontline PLUS has chemicals for ticks in it as well

Advocate will do mites such as demodex, sarcoptes and ear mite but does intestinal worms, fleas and heartworm.

Ivermectin is highly toxic to say the least and i would not ever consider using it on a reptile.

Permetherin on the other hand,(a synthetic form of pyretherin), is far safer and will kill mite and eggs with only one application, if used properly one treatment is all that is needed.
Just a pity that the standard orange medic is not available any more as it was magic stuff for the treatment of mite.

tou bloody che' on all three, I did talk to the person who developed Orange Medic not to long ago. He still has the formula.

I go with Jean 19 In Holland most of the snake keepers take lice shampoo for humans.
we buy a bottle at the farmacie with 60 ml shampoo ( With 1 % permetrine) and we put 15 ml shampoo on 1 liter of water and we spray everthing with it.
Snakes, even the eyes, everything in the beholder, also the outside of the beholder ( remove the waterbowl ) it even kill the eggs of the mite. repeat it after seven days and the job is done.
I don't the name of permetrin in Australia. ( google ? )
It works and the beholder smells like soap

Frontline is fine to use on reptiles to treat mites. The spray is the best the spot on won't really work (reptiles don't have glands in their skin so they are unable to absorb topical treatments). Obviously don't soak the animal in it but apply enough so that you have treated the entire surface area. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then gently rinse off. Like all of these sorts of medications make sure you avoid areas like the eyes and mouth. Make sure you don't have them in a heated enclosure so the medication doesn't vaporise. Frontline will treat ticks in dogs, but needs to be applied every 2 weeks.
TOP is the best IMO, just place the animal in a calico bag and give it a light spray, leave it for 10 minutes etc etc. The advantage with this product is that it can also be used to treat the environment which is the most critical step to eliminating mites from a collection.
Orange medic was not the best product going around, it is a pyrethrin, much more toxic than the synthetic pyrethroids.
Ivermectin can also be used. I've used injectable without without any problems in reptiles but have seen cases of suspected toxicity in bluetongues treated with topical (possibly aerosolised the treatment??) Ivermectin cannot be used in chelonians, it is toxic for these guys.

HerpDoc, sorry but your wrong there.
Orange medic's active ingrediant is permetherin, which is a synthetic, and imo it was by far superior to any other mite treatment out there if used correctly. 100% safe and 100% effective when treating the animal and its enclosure with only one single treatment required.

that scares me. how do we know if the snake has mites? mines smallish but is not any signs of being sick. but just for future reference, how would you know if it was sick? thanks

TOD is quite a good product & very safe if used as per manufacturer's spec's. Callington Haven provide a technical Data sheet out-lining the correct way to use TOD for mite control on reptiles.
Note: every miticide/insecticide used and recommended for reptiles is potentially toxic towards reptiles and therefore care must be taken to use it as recommended by experts such as vets and/or manufacturer.

Basically use TOD as follows:
1. remove water bowl for 24 hours;
2. remove reptile from enclosure;
3. spray for 2 - 3 secs for a typical enclosure of 2' x 3' (adjust application to suit size of enclosure);
4. leave enclosure closed for approx 15 min;
5. return reptile to enclosure;
6. spray a line around enclosure to create barrier, repeat barrier spray every second day during the treatment
(e.g. if need to retreat enclosure in seven days time then keep applying barrier spray);
7. return water bowl after 24 hours;
8. clean out enclosure and destroy any substrate;
9. repeat process in 7 days time;
10. third application may be required depending on severity of infestation.

TOD is used to fumigate the inside of an aircraft arriving in Australia from over seas. It's original purpose was and still is to knock down and kill insects which may have hitched a ride from an overseas country. It provides a limited residual effect however biodegrades fairly quickly. It is virtually non-toxic and extremely safe to use around humans. This treatment is undertaken on all aircraft arriving in Australia as part of AQIS requirements and is undertaken with crew and passengers on board. I have used it for this purpose for some 22 years now without any problems and have also used it for treating reptiles for many years now without any problems.

Cheers,
Harro

You're right TrueBlue I realised my mistake as I pressed the submit button. Sorry if I confused anyone. TOD is still what I would recommend though.

how do we know if the snake has mites? ... ... just for future reference, how would you know if it was sick? thanks

Just Bumping these questions!! Anyone got any suggestions where to find the answers!?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back