Frozen feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
When feeding frozen thawed, what is best, tease the snake with the dead prey to fein life, or just place it near snake and hope?
Moses

I usually tease them into feeding,I find by keeping the prey item still some of my snakes didnt constrict,they simply took hold and swallowed.I prefer them to attack hard (personal preference as its more fun to watch and also incase there is ever the reason to feed live/stunned prey items in the future).

I agree with CC.

Its also much more fun to watch the snake strike when you wiggle the rat in front of it.

Cheers Hawkeye

My two cents,
If you can get a snake to eat dead prey with no teasing then IMHO this is the way to go.
All of ours will take dead prey if we just leave it outside their hidey holes(preys head pointing towards the hole).
If that doesnt work then slowly moving the prey from side to side in front of the snake,as opposed to teasing would be my second method.

Before resorting to live prey(for the obvious reasons) I wouldn't give up on those two methods without a lot of time, patience and peristance.
cheers M.........

I simply hold the rodent in a pair of tongs and as the snake approaches flicking its tongue I retreat the item backwards in order to make the snake strike.I dont feed live,but on the odd occasion I cant have frozen/thawed and have to feed my snakes live/stunned id prefer them used to striking hard rather than slowly engulfing it without constriction.

I do the same as CC, just retreat the item with maybe the occasional wiggle. I usually feed fresh kill or, when the freezer is getting a bit full, frozen. At the moment my female coastal is refusing everything I offer, even prey killed just seconds before offering. I find this strange because she is definately adopting striking poses and carousing the enclosure hunting. I've wasted three rats this week due to her refusals, so now she waits for the next scheduled feed and I'll see what happens then.

I just hang the mouse / rat in front of them, holding it by the tail. They snap it, constrict and eat. I never leave it in the cage if they don't take it, i tried that and it was always still there the next morning. Also that way, I can keep feeding till they've had enough. If i left it in there, i would only be able to feed one animal per feed. :?

It doesn't matter what I do, whether I wiggle it, or it gets dropped on to the cage floor, all my snakes strike hard at them and constrict. I pretty much always hold it in tongs and wriggle it (unless I accidently drop it), that is, if I get the chance to. My snakes are usually out the hole and going for the prey before I get a chance to do anything. They're all aggressive feeders. :)

:p I have found most mine just stick it in frony of them & whack its belted,i do althought have 1 male mac that no matter how you move shake bounce whatever it dont work,place it infront of his hide & leave it there for 15+minutes & then he will think about it.He is the only one that is like this all others are fine but basically whatever works for you. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back