Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckPhotographer

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So guys, this has actually already been ID'd for me from multiple trusted sources, but I didn't ID it myself.

I thought since the photo quality was pretty poor I'd put it up here and see how you guys went IDing it, and I'll let you know if you're right or not.

Untitled by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr

I'll let you know location once someone gets it. :)

I know nothing about snake Identification, but seeing as a incorrect identification in this thread is not really relevant, I'll take a guess at this being Pseudechis australis.

Well Wrecked has it guys. Strap-snouted Brown Snake, Pseudonaja aspidorhyncha. It was a beautiful snake in the flesh and I was rather sad I wasn't able to capture pictures of it to the standard I like. Maybe next time.

Why is it not in any books including complete guide to reptiles of australia???
Its a shield-snouted brown not a strap snouted brown

It is in that book, and that is simply a different common name, both are regularly used. I prefer Strap-snouted.

That source you've linked tells you it has been split from the Western Brown, of which it was once grouped as a complex???

Strap snouted brown snake Pseudonaja aspidoryncha.

That source you've linked tells you it has been split from the Western Brown, of which it was once grouped as a complex???

I understand that, I just thought to be fair when people were guessing 'western brown' you might have asked for scientific names :) Just a thought that popped into my head and believe me, they're not all good ;) I didn't take a guess so no strap off my snout :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back