Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suenstu

Reaction score
finding it somewhat challenging to find out a bit more about these guys..... If anyone has any info, or knows where I can find out a bit more, or (better yet) potentially where I can get one (I'm in Brisneyland), would be great to find out....
Thanks ;)

Ive seen them on herptrader. If by info you mean care, their care is the same as any other carpet python. And to find out more, use google you'll find heaps.

SXR has them and a little bit of info on their website too.

Thanks Travisty, it was actually on the SXR website that I started reading about them.

and Thank you Snakeluvver, I will check out herp trader, info more generalised rather than care, I've found some good Carpet Python care info/books/references etc. more interested in size/temperament etc. I'm curious to see if they are very similar to MD's rep with those...

Thanks for your help!!

my stimmie is of gammon ranges locality....i know not a carpet, but shes a beauty

Give NatoRey on here a PM.
He may have some on the way in the near future.

Australian reptile research and breeding centre has some availble for auction i'm pretty sure.

what sort of info are you looking for mate?
theirs not a lot known of them both wild and captive, about 5 or 6 years in captive
Simon Stone is the man with all the info(DocRoc) more related to SW carpets(imbricata)
rather than the inlands (metcalfei) not much selective breeding done with them but
a high red is under development, quality specimens with decent genetic depth and color/pattern
is about 500 a pair,

NatoRey

Edit: mostly their is debate as to reclassify this animal as a separate sub species or attach it to imbricata
but as i said Simon is the best man to speak to about Gammons, i will be getting a breeding pair in the last 1/4 of the year
so i will know more by then :)

Last edited:
i have one. mine is very placid,confident,not nervous at all and a great feeder .colours improve as they grow and end up quite an attractive python.keep them the same as most of the other carpets,in particular SW carpets and inland carpets.a pleasure to own. i bought mine off a guy called Alex Holmes who had them advertised on herptrader a while ago.
cheers
simon

Has anyone got anymore information on the dna testing that shows they are closer related to imbricata than metcalfei?
I find it amazing they cant tell subspecies of morelia apart with dna and yet they can find a distinction in these?
Could they simply be a slightly different colour MD with a marketing pitch?
Cheers
Adam

That's what I've always thought about them, that there were either Imbricata or Metcalfei but in rare in that particular local.

I got a few from SXR's awhile ago and they are a great carpet to have. I also have a few South Westerns and regard the gammons as a pretty MD rather then imbricata.

Adam, supposely they can DNA split imbricata, bredli, and group the rest in spilota. If true than they probably could say that the gammons are closer DNA wise to imbricata than spilota (the group that MDs are supposed to be aligned). I have them down as an MD and regard them as such. Cant find the original paper but there is alot of papers referencing it.

One of the main reasons that M.s.imbricata and M.s.bredli can be genetically separated from the rest of the M.spilota complex is because they are geographically isolated. The rest of M.spilota complex are part of a large population with blurred borders and very little genetic variance.

It is my understanding that in the future, M.s.imbricata and M.s.bredli will be subject to a formal split from M.spilota, raising them to full species level. The rest will be regarded simply as Morelia spilota, or at worst, Morelia spilota variegata with Diamond's being Morelia spilota spilota.

I too have the same questions as Ad - who has made the claim that they are more closely allied with M.s.imbricata than M.s.metcalfei? What are they basing this on? They aren't a completely population species...there are Carpets found to the south, east and west of them within a couple of hundred kilometres. Did they genetically test the Carpets from the Middleback and Gawler ranges west of Whyalla?

Great thread guys, I have been wondering about this for a while, keep up the great infoTim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back