Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I missed the "legless" part in you're post MathewB, and I just realized this was a lizard thread, oh well, pain medication will have that affect. The title does have "etc" at the end, so the snakes shouldn't be to out of place.

Cunningham's are great! But in my experience they don't trust you right off the bat like a Bluey might do. When I got them they were really really skittish, like you'd think about them and they'd run off into hiding but after a long time of me sitting in the sun and frequent darts to safety they have gotten to the point where I can hand feed the male (which I started doing today haha) and where I can moved around (walk past etc.) and the female won't shoot off. Once you get to this stage it's a great feeling and very rewarding, highlight of my day was when I was outside feeding them. I think it'll be a while before they'll tolerate physical contact, like a Bluey or a Beardie but I'm willing to wait.

They are fast becoming my favourite reptile. Did that answer your question? haha

I'm interested to hear from anyone with a netted dragon how these tolerate handling? I was told when I got my beardie that netted's don't like being handled ever, but the little nd right there seemed keen for interaction......

They are ok being handled but not like a beardie. They tolerate it, one of mine is more skittish than the other. Having said that, both my beardies have now decided they don't want to be handled and put on a big display when I get them out, I think it's puberty, haha.

some of my pics :D

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
  • lizard pics 059.JPG
    lizard pics 059.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 69
  • lizard pics 037.jpg
    lizard pics 037.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 73
  • lizard pics 012.jpg
    lizard pics 012.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 75
  • lizard pics 013.jpg
    lizard pics 013.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 71
  • lizard pics 030.jpg
    lizard pics 030.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 79
  • whites skink.jpg
    whites skink.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 77
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00993.JPG
    DSC00993.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00980.JPG
    DSC00980.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00957.JPG
    DSC00957.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00746.JPG
    DSC00746.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00961.JPG
    DSC00961.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 83
A few of the more 'creative' pics:
My male levis, marbled gecko and central beardie being a wizard lizard :D

Attachments

• IMG_65692.jpg
    IMG_65692.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_65902.jpg
    IMG_65902.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_64222.jpg
    IMG_64222.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 132
Lizzy
lizzyhasarrived3iwangim.gif

Gimme gimme gimme (excited about what I'm getting out of the punnet for her)
lizzysocomfyandcontent.gif

Toasty comfy and content and it's time for a siesta.
handfeed2.gif

Yum !!!
handfeed.gif

Don't mind if I do, I love these things.
ticklemeunderthechin.gif

Ah....that feels no good.... more please.

Scrapper (the boyfriend)
scrapperlookingupatmeto.gif

That was tasty.... MORE PLEASE.....

Their baby
sbabygirlabout1monthold.gif

Is that something yummy over there (checking out a mealworm I'd tossed onto the path in front of her) .... I think she's about 5 weeks old in this photo.

The other EWSs are a bit shy of the camera. And I've not photographed the old EWS who lives in my shed or the resident bluey (yet).

And here's my newest visitor (visits regularly) and has become very friendly and is very partial to dead crickets and mealworms and what ever it finds in little wild spot under my big tree..
mynewlizardfriendewd10.gif

mynewlizardfriendewd2.gif

All are wild and free to come and go as they choose.

I pays huge dividends being kind to your resident wild lizards and patient with them.

Last edited:
You have a way with skinks, ill give you that. Never seen a wild EWD just do that with a human you are very very lucky, im jealous haha

That EWS baby looks more like a year old. Certainly not 5 weeks.

It's only about 2-2.5 inches long estimate nose to vent (which is consistant with her (based on the head shape and back legs and pelvis size) being extremely young), she's certainly the tinniest EWS I've ever seen (and I've seen lots of them and when I was a kid used to catch lots of them to bring home and keep for a while as pets). But you are right, I don't really know it's exact age however it stays close to Lizzy when she's outside and I frequently see them near each other. Never saw this little EWS before Fathers' Day and Lizzy showed up (thin again) at the same time. All strong circumstantial evidence.

I do have EWS growth charts that I found recently in the scientific literature that once I get good data on the baby's size I can use to tie down it's age more accurately .... it's getting well fed but remains very shy.

Gecko - I refer you to http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/.../trying-work-age-baby-ews-170283/#post2071957 this should close this tangent off and end it.

You have a way with skinks, ill give you that. Never seen a wild EWD just do that with a human you are very very lucky, im jealous haha

Well to be honest - I was surprised that it allowed me to pick it up at all. I've not tried picking it up again, and has come back regularly, I'm content to just to quietly watch it and toss the occasional food treat to it, and yes I do have one sided conversions with all my regular visiting and resident lizards and they all get food treats.

I've had similar experiences with wild blueys and beardies and green tree frogs and a bigger EWD too.

I think you can tell from how the lizard is behaving around you if it's ready to hand feed or to touch it. All a matter building a trusting relationship over time with them and patience is the key IMO.

Being retired, I have time to spare now, whereas when I was working, the resident and regularly visiting lizards didn't see me around as much and I didn't have the time available to just hang out and interact with them.

Yes I feel very privileged having so many wonderful wild lizards around and do everything I can to encourage them to stick around and am working on making my property even more lizard and frog friendly.

I only wish more people did the same and would learn to appreciate these incredible animals.

Last edited:
My new hatchling, just got him this morning. Just him enjoying the heat of his new enclosure (he's to small to be in the big one by himself so we've put him in a smaller tank inside the bigger enclosure) I know the tanks dirty were cleaning it right at this very moment. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back