Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
marbled gecko or clawless gecko?
where abouts in WA are you?

Last edited:
Southern Marbled Gecko (Christinus mamoratus) hatchling.

The following article has the info you seek plus some other good tips....
gecko

I assume you just want to fatten it up before releasing it. Please be aware that even that can get you into strife with DEC as they could charge you with taking from the wild and/or keeping without a license, even if it came out of the backyard or was found inside the house.

Blue

PS. If you decide to use vinegar flies (Drosophila melanogaster), put them in the fridge for 10 mins or so and clip off the wings before they warm up and become active again. Unfortunately the genetically wingless varities are not available in WA as the Ag Dept won't allow them. Plenty of wild types around though.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I have no issue with what you are doing, what I think doesn't matter. DEC make a large number of their "busts" based on tip offs from the public. I just want you to be aware of the risks and the possible consequences – for your sake. Good luck with it.

Blue

Too cute!

Same sort of thing happened to me. I found four eggs in the backyard... I decided to take them in because it was a rainy, windy, crappy day. Two hatched. Another will soon, I believe. One looks done for though I think. It had already fallen from the rest when I found them. I gave the hatchlings some tiny Woodies and Crickets for a week or so then released them. I know what you mean about getting attached though. Turns out they were also Marbled Geckos.

I found a dead Barking Gecko in the backyard today... Ants got to it. :(.
Also found some sandy coloured Geckos across the road too. Not sure what sort they were though.

Last edited:
Same sort of thing happened to me. I found four eggs in the backyard... I decided to take them in because it was a rainy, windy, crappy day. Two hatched. Another will soon, I believe. One looks done for though I think. It had already fallen from the rest when I found them. I gave the hatchlings some tiny Woodies and Crickets for a week or so then released them. I know what you mean about getting attached though. Turns they were also Marbled Geckos.

I found a dead Barking Gecko in the backyard today... Ants got to it. :(.
Also found some sandy coloured Geckos across the road too. Not sure what sort they were though.

i had my eggs for 2 months and went to throw them out when read that if they roll around there 99% dead, but when i looked at them that morning 1 egg was broken open but no gecko so assumed it was a fractured dud. so i squished the other egg to throw out with the shell, but surprise this little bastard came wriggling out. that was about three weeks ago, the just last week when doing my snake i saw a tiny gecko on the wall above the enclosure, i assumed mine had escaped but another surprise, it was the other hatchie. PS. we do not get these geckos wer i live so they are the hatchies, i found these eggs in an old school my work was demolishing.

I had mine for about 2 - 3 months I think. If any of the other two hatch i wouldn't mind having a go at raising it until it's mature. Anyone have any idea what the sandy coloured ones are that I saw? Didn't look much bigger than the Marbled Gecko babies.

It depends ver much on exactly where you are in SA. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say possibly a Binoe's Gecko (Heteronotia binoei). try checking out some photos and see what you think.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back