gecko I.D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This gecko was found in my garage in port macquarie,just wondering what type of gecko it is, i'm assuming there's more than 1 type of leaf tail gecko?geks.jpggekas.jpg

I was going to say southern leaf tail but the tail shape is different to the ones I've seen. Normally the tail thins out dramatically at the end. There are over 10 (15 I think) species of leaftail gecko's.

im leaning toward southern leaf tail gecko, saltaurius swaini

Last edited:
I was going to say southern leaf tail but the tail shape is different to the ones I've seen. Normally the tail thins out dramatically at the end. There are over 10 (15 I think) species of leaftail gecko's.

im leaning toward southern leaf tail gecko, saltaurius swaini

thank you,looked at images and looks like a match,

Saltuarius moritzi. Lucky to have them around your house.

Also the tail is a regeneration which is why it looks different.

They were split from swaini a few years ago now. The shape and reduced number of tubercles make it pretty obvious that it is a regeneration.

They were split from swaini a few years ago now. The shape and reduced number of tubercles make it pretty obvious that it is a regeneration.

Dont supose you'd know of a field guide which contains all 4 species the southern leaf tail was split into? The images I've seen online are very conflicting.

Dont supose you'd know of a field guide which contains all 4 species the southern leaf tail was split into? The images I've seen online are very conflicting.

The newest Wilson and swan and the new cogger both have the revision. Most leafys look very similar and are easier to distinguish by location since they have restricted ranges. There is possible/probably overlap in Gibraltar range.

The newest Wilson and swan and the new cogger both have the revision. Most leafys look very similar and are easier to distinguish by location since they have restricted ranges. There is possible/probably overlap in Gibraltar range.

Thanks for that, I'll order both. And thanks for the correction, the few books I have left are seriously outdated and I would have been unaware of the split if you hadn't done so.

cheers.

Saltuarius generally lose the whole tail. So the whole tail is a regen. As clopo said the tail is very rounded and smooth pointing to a regen tail.

Carphodactylids as a whole only possess a single autotomous fracture zone so the tail is always shed as a whole, unlike pygopodids, gekkonids and diplodactylids which bear multiple cartilaginous fracture points that allow partial breakages and regeneration.

I agree with S. moritzi based on location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back