Gecko I.D

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibian Identification' started by St3v3, Nov 17, 2019.

1. St3v3

St3v3 New Member

BA657112-5B92-4672-83F0-36DBBDCDCF48.jpeg This one was Hanging out on my wheelie bin this afternoon
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Nov 17, 2019, Original Post Date: Nov 17, 2019 ---
    Thursday Island

2. nuttylizardguy

nuttylizardguy Active Member

3. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 APS Veteran APS Veteran

This is actually not a Dubious Dtella, but an Asian House Gecko Hemidactylus frenatus. Given the similarities in the markings of the two, this is an easy mistake to make. I have seen the same misidentification made on Australian animal websites.

Gehyra do not have a claws on their first digits, nor do they have spines along the side of the lower back and tail. In Gehyra the expanded disc at the end of the digits is almost circular and clearly distinct from the rest of the digit. The claws emanate upwards from the centre of this pad and curve forward to extend beyond it. In the AHG the pads are ovoid in shape and not particularly distinct form the rest of the digit. The claws are located towards the front of the digits and angled forward from their origin. The vocalisation of the AHG is describe as a distinctive "chuck-chuck-chuck", whereas that of the Dubious Dtella is a very high-pitched chirping.