Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where abouts are you?
I'm def. not an expert but it looks like a Saltuarius swaini.
Don't take my word, I'm dumb.

Last edited:
Oh well, at least I knew it was a type of Leaf-Tail.
Wait Phyllurus are Leaf-Tails right?

Actually Broad Tail, just depends on how picky you want to get...;)
Phyllurus were leaf tails before Saltuarius were acknowledged. :p Common names are useless. I mean seriously there is a gecko called a leaftail gecko in most tropical rainforests of the world. :p

Stupid Madagascar, taking all of the glory by making their Leaf-Tails the most recognised...

So what they are the same thing? The broad tail and the leaf tail?

So what they are the same thing? The broad tail and the leaf tail?
No they are different things, they are just sometimes called the same thing in terms common names. Common names are highly fallible as everyone can have their own unique set. I for example call Phyllurus platurus (what books refer to as the broadtail) as the Leaf-tailed Gecko. Saltuarius swainii I refer to as Swain's Leaf-tailed Gecko, Saltuarius kataea Kate's Gecko, Saltuarius wyberba Granite Belt Leaf-tailed Gecko, Saltuarius moritzi Morit'z Leaf-tailed Gecko, Saltuarius cornutus Northern Leaf-tail, Saltuarius salebrosus No Common Name.

I give no common names to any of the other species of the Genus Phyllurus. And the one no one ever seems to get confused just for good measure Orraya occultus is commonly called the McIlwraith Leaf-tail.

These are just my common names which I rarely in fact use because I can use scientific names most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back