Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashisnothereman

Reaction score
found this fellow tonight, unfortunately his tail was missing. Anyone know what species?

13351_187012773829_517228829_2854633_6871987_n.jpg

Cheers Ash.

Broad-tailed rockk gecko (Phylurrus platuras)
Only found in the greater Sydney area
Probably the most common gecko u will find in Sydney

Last edited:
cheers mate. theres heaps of them in my garage. 80 percent of the time i lift or move something i hear their shrill cries and ive chopped off a tail. they need to find a safer place to hide!

The most common gecko I've seen in Sydney are eastern stone geckos....
Never seen a broad tailed gecko in the wild before....

Really iv never seen ESG's, we obviously are looking in different habitats
No i dont i cant see any mites, its just that all the wild ones iv seen have got them
so i was wondering if anyone with better eyesight than me can make one out
oh and by the way leaf-tail mites are harmless and dont effect the gecko

I have found them to be very common in certain areas, most of the ones I have seen have been under bricks in backyard, only seen 1 in actual bushland. but Oedura lesueurii are also very common. I have never seen eastern stone geckos, but know they are common in western sydney and southern/ south western sydney. the other geckos you get in sydney region is U. milii, I have seen them only in the north west of greater sydney region.

Depends on the area you live in, the most common gecko in my area (in the bush) are milii where I can find 30 - 50 in a 3 hour walk, the most common in the burbs of Sydney are platurus as they like cave type habitats and living under brick houses is a good substitute, other areas lesueurii are everywhere...Stones are more common in drier areas. On a good nights walk I can find all 4 species within a 5km radius.

I never see any wild herps in my area, but was thrilled the other day to find a southern spotted velvet gecko living in the garage of our newly built house. He was living under the wheely bin, I went to take the bin out and was sitting on the floor. I tried to get a little closer to have a better look, but he ran under a cabinet, haven't seen him since but i hope he sticks around!! Although there isn't much food in the garage for him! I now have to move the bin slowly in case he's sitting there again.

They are cool looking geckos! reach a pretty hefty size as well. how much would one of these go for on licence??

I never see any wild herps in my area, but was thrilled the other day to find a southern spotted velvet gecko living in the garage of our newly built house. He was living under the wheely bin, I went to take the bin out and was sitting on the floor. I tried to get a little closer to have a better look, but he ran under a cabinet, haven't seen him since but i hope he sticks around!! Although there isn't much food in the garage for him! I now have to move the bin slowly in case he's sitting there again.

I "HIGHLY" doubt it was a southern spotted velvet gecko if you live in Melbourne , as the natural distrubution is from northern New South Wales to South Eastern Queensland .

How big was it? If it was small, like 5cm snout to vent then it was probably a common marbled gecko. If it was bigger try to get some pics cos that would be very interesting.

How big was it? If it was small, like 5cm snout to vent then it was probably a common marbled gecko. If it was bigger try to get some pics cos that would be very interesting.

What's the difference? I googled velvets and the spotted was the only one that looked similar. Didn't find anything just called a marbled gecko. I have WA marbled velvets, and it didn't look anything like them.

Oh and I haven't seen him since. It's been wet and colder lately, and we cleaned out a lot of rubbish of flattened boxes etc from the garage. I also moved my cricket tub inside, so he might not have enough food/hiding places to stay now. I will be keeping my eyes open though. They are very fast, so even if he did pop out to say hi I'd probably lose him before i came back with the camera.

Marbled Gecko = Christinus marmoratus = Not a velvet gecko = Lives in Victoria.
Marbled Velvet Gecko = Oedura marmorata = Velvet Gecko = Does not live in Victoria
Southern Spotted Velvet Gecko = Oedura tryoni = Velvet Gecko = Does not live in Victoria
Any Velvet Gecko = Oedura sp. = Does not live in Victoria = If you are 150% sure you see one and are in Victoria at the time, catch it.

Ok, I did some more investigating. The original pic I googled of the marbled gecko didn't look anything like the one I saw. But it seems they can vary heaps with colour and pattern and the pic below I just found is closer to what I saw, and it too is a marbled gecko. So with the size and the location info I would probably say it is a marbled gecko. It was about 8cm nose to vent and was a beautiful purpleish tinge, with some small darker spot/markings.

Thanks for the clear up guys. :oops:

I will still try and get a photo of the little bugger hiding in the garage if it pops its head out again.

Attachments

• christinus_marmoratus_2.jpg
    christinus_marmoratus_2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 44
Thats what i thought. I keep some of them, they are awesome little geckos. Hope you see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back