Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hi my name is James (Reptilemaniac), I found a strange looking gecko in my backyard recently.This was a huge surprise to me since I have never seen a gecko near my area let alone backyard before! Can you please help me identify it.

Here is a few facts that might help you identify it.
I live in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.
It was 10.2cm in length.

I will upload a picture soon

Thanks,
James

SAM_0204.jpg

SAM_0205.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0205.jpg
    SAM_0205.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_0204.jpg
    SAM_0204.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 99
Looks like a golden tail gecko to me

i think dtella of some sort,
maybe gehyra variegata

Last edited:
It is a Leseur's velvet gecko. Oedura leseuri. These are common under bark and tree debris around the Sydney Basin as well as along the coast of NSW. They are most readily distinguished from Oedura robusta by the pattern on their back which forms a mostly unbroken zig zaggy line as apposed to large blodges with gaps iin between. I am 99% sure of this id but if you gave me a shot from directly above that would make me able to be certain...

It is a Leseur's velvet gecko. Oedura leseuri. These are common under bark and tree debris around the Sydney Basin as well as along the coast of NSW. They are most readily distinguished from Oedura robusta by the pattern on their back which forms a mostly unbroken zig zaggy line as apposed to large blodges with gaps iin between. I am 99% sure of this id but if you gave me a shot from directly above that would make me able to be certain...
Do you know the difference between the Oedura leseuri and Geyhra dubia? It looks very similar to the Geyhra dubia to me but i am far from an expert.

yes im incorrect, it does look like a leseuri, location fits perfectly aswell!

Well the tail is too long for Gehyra dubia, G.dubia does not have such a formed pattern, they may have smaller blodges or dots and markings but not a fully formed line/ series of blodges down their back.I have seen all of the geckos mentioned (apart from Golden-tailed) in the wild. Once you have seen them you have a good sense and can usually pick the genus off sight, however I have never seen Leseur's and O.robusta side by side so I still get a little confused there.

Check out the AROD picture of Leseur's vs pictures of Robust, G.dubia, etc, looking at numerous pictures can only help.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will be sure to post some more pics soon

Here is a couple more pics of the gecko I found.

SAM_0545.jpg

Screenshot2011-06-19at33439PM.png

Last edited:
Ok there is no doubt in my mind that that is Oedura leseuri, so unless eipper or blue or someone else who is very good at id's turns up and disagrees with that I am going to keep thinking that is what it is.

Thanks so much mate. I always thought it was a marbled gecko!

Once again thanks

I am open to more ideas but have no doubt that it ia a Oedura leseuri.

you got the answer, why are you bumping the thread?

They are great little geckoes to keep. Hardy as and quite active and can be kept as a small colony. I had mine for a couple of years until entrusting them to a good animal-loving mate to look after for three weeks while I went on a holiday. After a week or so he felt sorry for them and decided to let them all go. I was “not happy Jan” but as I had decided to move to WA I would have had to get rid of them anyway.

It is a Leseur's velvet gecko. Oedura leseuri. These are common under bark and tree debris around the Sydney Basin as well as along the coast of NSW.
Good call on the ID Geckophotographer. I must say, however, that I have only ever found O. leseuri under rock slabs, never on fallen or standing timber.

Do you know the difference between the Oedura leseuri and Geyhra dubia? It looks very similar to the Geyhra dubia to me but i am far from an expert.
As far as I know, G. dubia is not found in Sydney, only G. variegata. O. leseuri differs from both Gehyra species in markings, having a distinctive ragged vertebral zigzag band. The digits on Gehyra are more expanded at the tips with a semi-circular shape and an obvious claw on all but the first digit of each foot. Whereas Oedura have a less obvious claw on all digits and the tip is only very slightly expanded compared to the rest of the digit. The tail on the two Gehyras tapers more slowly to a point and is almost round in cross-section, whereas Oedura have distinctly flattened tail that is approximately the same width for most of its length.

If you have a hand lens for field ID, the lamellae are all paired on Gehyra and only distally paired on Oedura.

Blue

Good call on the ID Geckophotographer. I must say, however, that I have only ever found O. leseuri under rock slabs, never on fallen or standing timber.

Yes I have found them under rock slabs in most of there habitat too, and I believe a project affiliated with Shine and Hoplocephalus bungaroides habitat regeneration even found a quantitative measure of their preferred crevice size. However the first place I ever found them and where I used to consistently find them before I ever found them on rocks was in the Watagan National Park under the peeling bark of a certain gum tree, and in the wooden cracks of the toilets at Muirs Lookout in the Watagans (I would not give the location usually but the toilets are now gone and the certainty of the geckos with them although they probably still frequent the cliff nearby).
So the first thing that pops into my mind ussually ends up being these habitats even though further experience has expanded this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back