Gecko ID...

Discussion in 'Reptile and Amphibian Identification' started by SpottedPythons, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SpottedPythons

SpottedPythons Active Member

So here's my gecko... was sold to me as a Marbled but I don't think it is. Not that great with geckos, so here's a picture. The picture was taken during the day when he's in his "dark" phase. He turns lighter during the night. I'd say he's about 9 or 10cm. No spines on the tail or any other part of the body, locality is Nelson,NSW.[​IMG]

2. Scutellatus

Scutellatus Active Member

It does look like a Marbled Gecko. What makes you think it isn't?

SpottedPythons likes this.
  3. SpottedPythons

General head shape of Marbleds' are usually quite bulky, this one's is slender and quite flat. Also, from what I've seen of Marbled Geckoes, their pattern is usually very busy and this one has very wide saddles. In fact, there are times when he appears to have no pattern at all...

In fact, look at this picture of a marbled... I've never seen one that looks like mine.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Bluetongue1

Bluetongue1 APS Veteran APS Veteran

Looks like a Marbled Gecko to me as well.

The digits can be used to confirm its ID. There are no claws coming out of the top of the terminal toe pads and extending beyond them – so that rules out Gehyra species. There sould be a small retractable claw beween two enlarged circular terminal lamellae (the toe pads) - which seems to be the case but the photo is not sharp enough to say for certain – and the lamellae below the terminal pads should not be divided. In Amalosia (Leseur’s Gecko) the expanded terminal plates are almost the same width as the sub-digital lamellae, the first few of which are divided and there are no claws. Check out Museum Victoria’s webpage on geckoes: https://museumsvictoria.com.au/bioinformatics/lizards/images/lthumblivgec.htm

Either the seller got the location wrong or it was an escapee captured in that area.

SpottedPythons likes this.
  5. SpottedPythons

For reasons I know without doubt that the location is not incorrect. There are small claws on all toes, but they are so tiny none of my cameras are able to capture them. Here's the underside of the feet. 20170913_165153[3028].jpg

6. GBWhite

GBWhite Well-Known Member

Hi SpottedPythons,

I've literally caught hundreds & hundreds of these little guys over the years and while maintaining a pretty consistent dorsal colour their patterns can vary but the small dark edged spots/blotches on the sides usually give them away.

So, going off the head shape, dorsal pattern, location and the photos of the underside of the feet and toes which display apical subdigital lamellae (plates/pads at the tip of the toes) followed by a series of enlarged transverse lamellae (plates/pads on the under surface of the toes) which are typical in Amalosia and inconsistent with Christinus. I'm positive it's a Lesueur's Velvet Gecko (Amalosia lesueurii). For a comparison of the lamellae check Cogger's 7th Edition pages 285 & 345.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. SpottedPythons

Thanks guys for your help! Any more opinions from other gecko experts would be welcome as well. :) :D