Gecko questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As some of you may know my female northern velvet gecko is pregnant! Firstly, my laying box is a take away container spray painted black with a 4 cm hole in a corner with moist washed sand as a substrate. Is this setup right? i have never seen her inside it is there a possibility that she has not noticed it? Also I am worried my laying box is not moist enough how moist does it have to be? Is it better to be too moist of too dry?

Thanks in advance,
james

It just needs to be damp, not sopping wet, your lay box sounds perfect.
She most likely will ignore it until it is time to lay, then she will start searching out adequate lay sites.

Also, it may be an idea to try posting these questions in one of your other numerous threads regarding the same subject.

Last edited:
It just needs to be damp, not sopping wet, your lay box sounds perfect.
She most likely will ignore it until it is time to lay, then she will start searching out adequate lay sites.

Also, it may be an idea to try posting these questions in one of your other numerous threads regarding the same subject.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea ill do that next time. Will the geckos happily lay in moist sand? Some people have told me no you need core peat!

Yeah that sounds like a good idea ill do that next time. Will the geckos happily lay in moist sand? Some people have told me no you need core peat!

I only use sand and it works for me every time, I know people use coir/coco peat and have success but I personally didnt like it as stains the eggs.
The only geckos I keep that I do not use sand for a lay box are my Leaf-tails for which I use sphagnum moss.

Great, when using sand have you ever found that your geckos lay outside the laying box? Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back