Gecko with earplug? *Help please*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexandra566

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody knew what was going on here. Had a female NLP with a bit of stuck shed in her "ear hole". Gave her a soak and then used a moist cotton tip to loosen it up. Was not expecting to pull out what looks like an ear plug of some kind. She has now got that ear held tightly shut. Some fluid leaked out after the plug came out so I am wondering if that has just dried and held it shut. She is very active and eating well otherwise. Anybody had any experience with this? Will she need antibiotics or will she be able to fix it on her own?
IMG_9374.JPG IMG_9376.JPG IMG_9346.JPG IMG_9375.JPG

Should be fine, I'd keep an eye on it but not worry. You'll probably have the paranoia brigade demanding you take her to a vet, I wouldn't; you have more chance of causing a problem on a trip to the vet than preventing one in a case like this.

It sounds like the tympanum has been damaged, but it should heal up. A vet will want to give antibiotics, but especially in cases like small lizards, they more often do harm than good (but vets are by design interventionist so will want to do stuff, even if destructive). Reptiles are extremely resistant to infections from external injuries.

Thank you Sdaji,

Was my thoughts also. I will be monitoring her and if i notice a change in temperament or eating habits I will take her to the vet. At the moment she seems well and not effected. With any luck her next shed with have the ear hole opened up again.

Back