Gecko won't eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozil

Reaction score
G'day,

I recently got an adult female broad leaf tailed gecko (Phyllurus platurus), and she won't eat. I'm using medium crickets. is there anything I could try? Or any other insects? If more details are needed let me know

Thanks

I got her last Saturday, and its only in a temporary enclosure for now. Room temperature. I spray her enclosure once a day, and she has one hide. She was fed crickets by the last owner too. I guess I'm probably overreacting, she's probably really stressed. How long do you reckon she can go without eating? The guy we bought her off said he suspects she's gravid.

Btw we'll be getting her a proper enclosure soon (1-2 days hopefully), so i'm hoping she'll feel comfortable enough to eat when all of her needs are met.
But as i said, i'm just worried about how long she can go without eating.

What is your location? Leaf tails can do fine without heating in most areas unless it is really cold where you live. She should be fine without food for a week or two depending on the temperature where you are.

Has been a few wild caught ones getting around. How does its tail look ! Regen or not ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm in Wollongong. Thanks for the info :)
Its from a reputable seller, and is probably the tamest reptile I've ever seen. Original tail. Not wild caught, thankfully

Not wanting to Hijack the thread, but I have just acquired two little banded knob tails from a young girl, and they are also refusing food. She had 10 crickets running loose in their enclosure and now if they see one, even if in a tub held on tongs, they backpedal double time and run from it like they are terrified of it. What should I try as a food source till I get them on crickets again, they have a small heat mat on a thermostat running to help with the relocation, 22 cool end, 29-30 in their heated hide. Picked up Saturday afternoon (only 4 days in at this stage, so still not super stressed). Thanks for the help

You can try mealworms, woodies, earthworms, maggots and any other insects you may be able to find. I am not sure that they are scared of the crickets, it may be the tub and tongs that they are fearful of. In regard to them being in an enclosure with loose crickets, that is fine.

Thanks Scutellatus, I was only concerned with the number of crickets housed with them as even in the enclosure, they seemed to run away from them and leave their hides running backwards etc. I will try some other options for them and jump back on in a week or so if there is still no progress. Thanks for the advice mate

If there are crickets running around in the tank, make sure there is water, and also put a little piece of carrot in for the crickets to eat. That way they won't be tempted to eat the geckos toes.

Hi Foozil,

It's probably a good idea to take any uneaten crickets out of the enclosure. As pinefamily have alluded, if the don't have any water or food (carrot) they will bite the gecko and eventually it will get scared of them. You can try silkworms too if you can get your hands on them but better still put a light out of a night time and catch yourself some moths, they love them as well as spiders. These guys love to inhabit sandstone crevices or get themselves into cracks of dried timber so you might also need to put something in the enclosure for the gecko to squeeze into or between so it feels safe and secure and not exposed during the day.

George.

@GBWhite - Thanks a bunch for the info. Is it alright to use venomous spiders or just things like huntsmans? Probably a stupid question but just thought I'd ask.

Hi All,

Not sure about the original poster, but I have left the little guys be for a week and saw one of them eat Saturday night! Also have little presents left behind from them both now too. Thanks a million all, first time I have had issues with a reptile settling in post move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back