Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Bloody people putting up threads with awesome geckoes have got me thinking (which, given my financial situation, I can't really afford to do..)

I am currently saving for an enclosure and a pair of black head monitors but I would love to give keeping geckoes a go.

I am Googling info but thought I'd ask here too, plus it's exam block so I am distracting myself from the magical world of equine cardiology and bovine dentistry etc to focus on something more fun - buying new herps!

I have 3 species in mind that I really: ring tail gecko, golden tailed gecko and amyae.

I have a few questions: Are all geckoes nocturnal? Do they need heat? UV?

Any other info would be great.. sorry this post doesn't read very well, my brain is a bit addled.

Cheers!

All Australian geckos are nocturnal. They will need heating. Of the three you had in mind I would suggest that the Golden Tailed geckos would need some UV.

Hi PhilK
Have a look around Australiangecko.com
Will give you some hints and tips as well as some more cracking photos.

Thanks guys... I really can't afford this blood hobby!

I think ringtails or golden tails will definitely be the first - amyaes are out of my price range. Is any one easier than the other to care for?

I'll look at that site Jutto, thanks!

lol phil, iv kept ringtails and bog standard pilbara knob tails both are pretty easy especially the knob tails

the ringtails do however have afew special needs they do like to climb and they do need access to uva/uvb they also need crazy amounts of calcium which i used to just dust every feed with repti-cal but in keeping and breeding aussie lizards it says some people feed alot of smaller snails

with the ring tails i kept them in groups of 1m 2f and the knobbys i kept in pairs or 1m 2-3f also used to give them the occasional pinky mouse if they were looking abit *****house after breeding

Thanks for the info Kenshin.. so they are aboreal? Or do they just enjoy a bit of climbing? Need a very hot spot?

I can dust each feed with calcium, no big deal.

Any info on golden tails? All I know is that they are aboreal..

i havent kept golden tails but i belive theyre husbandry is super easy much like the other spiny tailed geckos

they are aboreal with claws not pads like the velvets so give them sticks and small branches to climb even a rockwall if your game mine always had a 28 - 29 hotspot but this was turned off completely alot of days as the ambiant temp in the reptile room was quiet hot itself

When i kept golden tails i supplied them with Uv and they always basked on sticks during the day. I also supply UV to my ring tails and this is due to their high calcium requirements. The do occassionally venture out with lights on and often sit partially in the light in a protected area during the day. Cant comment on amyae, probably someone who doesnt keep them will know the answers.
Shamless plug here, if you are looking for a cheap pair of geckos, ive got a pair of hatchy Oedura Castelnaui for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back