Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yewherper

Reaction score
Hi, I have heard alot about gecko's and that they are pretty hard to keep, because they drop their tails heaps easy?
You also have to have the right climate, set-up,etc, for them to reproduce?
I really like gecko's and want to get a couple of breeding pairs later down the track, maybe some Thick Tailed Gecko's, or some Smooth Knob Tailed Gecko's. I am just wondering if you guys can shed some light and maybe show some pic's of set-ups and some good looking gecko's,
Thanks

were did you heat that i think that geckos are are very easy to look after and breed like mad ive been keeping my geckos for 3 years now and havnt had one loose a tail.

yer they are easy to keep, never had one drop their tails, dont get worried bout dropping the tails. ill show u some pics of my marbled geckos and their set up

Attachments

• Gecko Tank.jpg
    Gecko Tank.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 418
  • Marbled Gecko.jpg
    Marbled Gecko.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Gecko Terranium.jpg
    Gecko Terranium.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 237
  • SDC13140.jpg
    SDC13140.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 220
  • SDC13139.jpg
    SDC13139.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 189
Also interested in Gecko's. Someone told me they can only eat crickets as they could digest other bugs like beardies do.... it that true?
What are the nicer colour geckos? What are they worth and what size enclosure would you keep them in?
Since I can get a snake I figure I would get another species of lizard to add to my collection.

yewherper I'm glad you started this thread as I was about to do the same.

Hi,

They are easy to keep i have thick tails and they have been breading really easy to do. I have a sub adult for sale atm ( male i think) and 2 babies due to hatch any day.

Also interested in Gecko's. Someone told me they can only eat crickets as they could digest other bugs like beardies do.... it that true?
What are the nicer colour geckos? What are they worth and what size enclosure would you keep them in?
Since I can get a snake I figure I would get another species of lizard to add to my collection.

yewherper I'm glad you started this thread as I was about to do the same.
not true i feed mine crickets, moths, small spider

i actually havnt tried them yet, maybe little roaches but i dont think mealworms

Small woodies are fine. Moths are also great for them.

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

they are great! don't get TOO big and easy to look after. gorgeous animals :D mine looves crickets

i got a couple of bynoes geckoes(clone form) easy as to look after,i got them for sale at the moment ,i like em heaps but more into my beardies!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• SDC11521.jpg
    SDC11521.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 148
  • SDC11523.jpg
    SDC11523.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 152
geckos are great! just dont handl them. Will get some pics of mine later but if you want some good coloured ones go for the velvets or levis.

ok heres some pics.....

occelated velvet geckos

Marbled velvet gecko

Bad picture but gives you an idea of his/her body

Clone gecko (bynoes)

Spiny Tail gecko

wow there some nice geckos there thegreenies, are the Marbled velvet gecko expensive? because they look great

Thanks heaps guys, maybe they can easy after all. I might be looking at get some next year.
Richoman your set up looks awesome and nice pics the greenies. Richoman what type of light are you using, is it those fan light things from reptileone?
Thanks

My son started with snakes, then got a pair of Smooth Knob Tails. They are SO cute, and easy to look after. Get a proper set up and heating, sand etc first, then do it!
I was a little worried about how hardy they were, and the whole tail dropping off thing, and that has not been our experience at all.
He has some brilliant photos of them, but I don't know how to upload them onto here.
Pretty sure he has some on his profile (trouser_snake6) but they are not the brilliant ones!
Our female has one lot of eggs incubating and another lot on the way
:)

Last edited:
In my experience they are not hard to keep:)
My Eastern Stone geckos tank just sits on top of the jacky dragons tank and that provides him with enough heat to digest food and be active.:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_6849 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_6849 - Copy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 127
Thanks heaps guys, maybe they can easy after all. I might be looking at get some next year.
Richoman your set up looks awesome and nice pics the greenies. Richoman what type of light are you using, is it those fan light things from reptileone?
Thanks
yet it is a fan light, marbled geckos dont really need heating as they can stand room temparature, but i wanted to be nice to them lol

Ok, that sounds all good. How much would a marbled velvet gecko cost? and maybe a breeding pair?
Anyone got pic's of a tank for marbled velvet gecko's?
Thanks

yeah i was told they were hard to keep too,..which just isnt true,...

here is a good looking gecko,...these guys have really grown on me, im up till all hours watching them,..! :)

Attachments

• jasper.jpg
    jasper.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 141
  • gex loving life.jpg
    gex loving life.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back