Generation disrespectful?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We leave the shops if my daughter cracks up, turn around smack her and walk out and let her know that the behaviour is unacceptable, and she is only 22months old. She understands. She always says please and thankyou when she wants something and if she can't have it we explain to her on her level why. Parents are becoming lazy with the way that children are raised. my Generation (because thats where alot of children are coming from) was the first to really use computers, nintendo's, gameboys etc etc, that was aimed at us as kids and I beleive that was turning point for civilisation. I grew up without a TV I was bought a Gameboy 6 months after it was release, and that was it, nothing else until I was 20 and decided to buy myself a Xbox 360-with my own money!
Its sad but if my child misbehaves she will get a smack-Theres a difference between a diciplined smack and abusing a child and most don't know the difference as they beleive if they are seen smacking a child then the police will be call...the rest are just utterly ignorant of how rude and pathetic their children will grow up to be!
just my 2 cents worth :)

We leave the shops if my daughter cracks up, turn around smack her and walk out and let her know that the behaviour is unacceptable, and she is only 22months old. She understands. She always says please and thankyou when she wants something and if she can't have it we explain to her on her level why. Parents are becoming lazy with the way that children are raised. my Generation (because thats where alot of children are coming from) was the first to really use computers, nintendo's, gameboys etc etc, that was aimed at us as kids and I beleive that was turning point for civilisation. I grew up without a TV I was bought a Gameboy 6 months after it was release, and that was it, nothing else until I was 20 and decided to buy myself a Xbox 360-with my own money!
Its sad but if my child misbehaves she will get a smack-Theres a difference between a diciplined smack and abusing a child and most don't know the difference as they beleive if they are seen smacking a child then the police will be call...the rest are just utterly ignorant of how rude and pathetic their children will grow up to be!
just my 2 cents worth :)

I agree with u. My 2 year old always says please and thank you, don't think he really understands what they mean but he knows he has to use them when he wants something.
I also hate people stereotyping and putting all young people in the same category, I'm only 22 but myself or no one I no around my age have ever done any of these disgusting things mentioned in this thread.

Are you serious??? You are obviously someone this thread is about, and WILL not take responsibility for your actions.

Teachers dont make that much money for the hours they work, oh i forgot you think their day finishes at 3:30 then they get to go home and have fun. When you get some clue and grasp about what goes on in the real world maybe you would command more respect. Until then bagging a profession you really know nothing about only ads to others negative opinions of you!!!

That's not entirely fair. I do not for a second believe that it is teacher's responsibility to raise children, however I do believe that they have a hand in teaching them respect, as well as other values etc that are on the whole severely lacking in todays youth, just the same as every other adult children come into contact with has the same responsibility. What happened to "treat other people how you wish to be treated"?
The first day of year 8 (may years ago now), I had a Textiles class with the teacher who had been my sister's year 12 co-ordinator the year before, and this teacher had had several run ins with my sister, so did not like her very much. When she called my name on the class list, she asked me if I was Joey's sister, and I told her I was, to which she replied "oh", with the most distaste I've ever heard the sound uttered, and gave me a look like I was something unpleasant she'd just stepped in. Needless to say, I tore her a new one that year, she was practically convinced I was the anti-christ incarnate. All my other teachers, however, absolutely loved me, because they afforded me the respect of a clean slate with no pre-conceived judgements.

I do think that the this generation (Generation Meh, named for their apathy towards anything other than themselves) are among the worst so far. There are good kids, but unfortunately, these are becoming the exception not the rule. Luckily, I'm no longer working in retail and don't have to deal with kids in my job, otherwise I'd have been fired long ago for giving Johnny or his parents a piece of my mind!!

And no, I do not have children, nor do I want any. The planet's overpopulated enough, and besides, I just plain don't like kids.

i find it amusing when parents expect me to move off the footpath and walk in the mud so their 5 year old can learn that you dont move for adults, but since i stick to my half of the footpath their kid gets walked straight into me or my shopping bags,....oops!! :p

old people are rude as all buggery too, maybe 1 in 10 say thank you if a door gets held open for them, the rest are just as crap as the younger generation. (im sure at least 1 in 10 of the younger generations are polite and respectful too!)

when i was still catching trains i found it rude that women with young screaming kids on peak hour trains would tell their kids not to move incase they lost their seat, in my day there was no such thing as a kid sitting while adults stood,..and as for shutting them up,....they dont even freaking try!!! (10 years of catching trains is the worlds best contraceptive)

i was shocked to see a woman pull her 10 year old son back down when he went to stand for a heavily pregnant woman,..so i gave her my seat instead,.....

i was shocked to see a woman pull her 10 year old son back down when he went to stand for a heavily pregnant woman,..so i gave her my seat instead,.....

That's bloody disgraceful. But don't worry, that 10 year old's an angel, because he shared the Kony video on the brand new iphone his parents just got him so he'd stop screaming, so he's saving the world now.

alot of parents are so busy with their own lives that they are unaware of their child's problems, or they think ahh he is a kid it's normal. This is such bull. Im generation y and i am very respectful to all irrespective of age but especially elders.
Also we must realise that some parents are lousy parents and let their kids go wild]
I think the answer is better education system. We need to start putting more money into schools, teachers and programs, with life getting so expensive your right both parents are working and maybe don't have the time to teacher the next gen all they need to know.

alot of parents are so busy with their own lives that they are unaware of their child's problems, or they think ahh he is a kid it's normal. This is such bull. Im generation y and i am very respectful to all irrespective of age but especially elders.
Also we must realise that some parents are lousy parents and let their kids go wild]
I think the answer is better education system. We need to start putting more money into schools, teachers and programs, with life getting so expensive your right both parents are working and maybe don't have the time to teacher the next gen all they need to know.

But why should teachers be the ones to raise children? If you want someone else to raise your children, you shouldn't have them in the first place. To be honest, I think breeding is a privelege, not a right, and most people should not be afforded that privelege, at least not until they can prove that they are capable of being responsible for it.

Yes but that's not going to happen so why not better educate the next gen and break the downwards spiral? Instead of complaining about it fix the problems

If you stop and think about it if we have better schools so that all children stay there longer and get a better education it would fix 90% of Australia's problem

Last edited:
School is not the answer to discipline. Discipline starts at home. At school you cannot make a child go and stand in the corner as you are excluding them and that is considered discrimination. All these do gooders have alot to answer for these days. You cannot discipline a child, you cannot touch them or chastise them. Teachers have their own problems. All the education targets they have to meet and the mountain of paperwork that goes with it. Most of the teachers at my wife's school have to take home with them. What about their families? Education has become way over analysed these days, nothing wrong with the old way of teaching, it's just that some goose has to justify his uni degree and drown everyone in paperwork. How about the parents of today pay more attention to bringing up their children and not worry about having the lastest car to keep up with the Jones's.

I am my Daughters "parent" first, friend second :) I am so proud of her manners, we both get complimented on them frequently. I only have one child to rear, sometimes it is very difficult for a family of multiple children to instill perfect manners/behavior. This is where I believe the School used to pick up any slack(safety net if you will) I dont condone beating a child senseless but I do feel there used to be a very needed system of discipline in schools. Breanna used to throw the biggest melt down in the shopping center usually because she was overtired(long hours at work with me) I knew it was pointless smacking or reasoning with her so I would leave groceries/trolly and just scoop her up and carry her to the car. On the odd occasion that it was a bratt attack! I would still just drop everything and take her home... She responded to that approach better than a smack, as she grew older I would simply say "ok time to go home" and she would calm herself and behave. I have noticed that there is an added stress on families now, both parents generally need to work etc it is no excuse, however does explain sometimes parents are either too tired or simply want to enjoy their Kids not reprimand them in the little time they get together. I do feel Children today are losing the ability to show good manners and consideration to others and Parents really need to address this. It may be harder now, however I am sure as the Darlings reach teendom the parents might reap what they sow :) Now somebody remember to show me my post in 6 years time and ask me if my Angel is still a paragon of manners and good behavior :p

... now i am in total agreement with wiping out child abuse but its time to remember there is a difference between smacking a child for doing something wrong AND over use of which in turn becomes child abuse and kids these days KNOW they can have you charged if you 'abuse' them and the law will back them up which is another reason society is failing these days and a lot of parents have kids these days that they really dont want

meet someone and the first thing most want is to have a kid to them like it will guarantee that they will stay together for years or they have a child just for the money

single mothers use to be a rarity, these days its fast becoming a new profession and is in a lot of cases breeding children who are raised by parents who just dont care anymore so long as the child isnt annoying them for anything they dont seem to care what they do or where they go etc, so many kids roam the streets in gangs at night these days and half the parents dont even know where they are

Absolutely agree. And I would even go as far as saying that being paid to have kids is a huge part of the problem. Baby bonuses and things are great for parents who actually NEED them. If you can't afford to have a child, then don't have one.

I was brought up with a good smack on the back of the legs or bottom when I was little right up until about the age of 8. Never beated or 'belted' or even threatened but if I misbehaved I heard about it. I think I turned out pretty well. The lack of the simplest things like please, thank you, may I and sorry are what get to me the most. I was also spoilt rotten as a child. Everything I touched in a store, I got purchased for me. This was mostly by grandmother and aunt as I was an only child (only a younger male cousin as well) and mum passed away when I was 4. They thought the sun shone out of me because I was 'all they had left' so to speak. However, the discipline and teaching of manners and respect for everyone​ were always present. Would love to know where it's at with families these days. I openly praise parents with well-behaved children when I see them now.

Why are they acting out solve that problem and there's no need for discipline. It's a bit of a joke that people still think hitting something to make it do what u want is ok

School is not the answer to discipline. Discipline starts at home. At school you cannot make a child go and stand in the corner as you are excluding them and that is considered discrimination. All these do gooders have alot to answer for these days. You cannot discipline a child, you cannot touch them or chastise them. Teachers have their own problems. All the education targets they have to meet and the mountain of paperwork that goes with it. Most of the teachers at my wife's school have to take home with them. What about their families? Education has become way over analysed these days, nothing wrong with the old way of teaching, it's just that some goose has to justify his uni degree and drown everyone in paperwork. How about the parents of today pay more attention to bringing up their children and not worry about having the lastest car to keep up with the Jones's.

Why are they acting out solve that problem and there's no need for discipline. It's a bit of a joke that people still think hitting something to make it do what u want is ok

In some situations, that is correct. However, the majority of children these days are so used to getting what they want, when they want, and have learned that acting out will get them this in the quickest, easiest way, so therefore don't bother with niceties. They've also learnt that there are no negative consequences for negative behaviour. And there is a MASSIVE difference between disciplining a child and "hitting it to make it do what you want". The first is parenting, the second is bullying/abuse. Like it or not, when people grow up and enter the real world, there are consequences for actions.
On a grander scale, physical punishment has been used for aeons. It works. It works on a dog, however the effects are short lived because the result is based in fear, and you cannot explain to a dog the reasoning behind it. It works on children for the rest of their lives, because the results may initially be based on fear/a desire to not achieve that result again, however a child can understand the reasoning behind the act.

Don't you think it's is up to the parents to find out why they are acting out. The teachers job is to educate. They cannot do that if you have kids that do not want to learn or are "Too cool for school". The teacher didn't give birth to the kids. The parents have to accept responsibility at some stage in a kids life. Not when he is in prison as a teenager or an adult. It is the parents job to teach their kids right from wrong, respect for other people and how to conduct themselves.

I definitely think the kids are getting worse but it has a lot to do with parents not being to disipline their kids. Each to their own on smacking, but when I got smacked, I never repeated the action or the word I got in trouble for.
My fourteen year old brother on the other hand, was being really disrespectful towards mum in public the other day and when she told him "listen to me now or will smack you in front of these people," (funny and humiliating, right?) he turned around and said "do it, that's child abuse and I'll tell all my teachers at school!"
Since he was in grade seven, his teachers have been teaching kids that a slap on the wrist is child abuse! I got smacked but I always deserved it and the way my brother was acting the other day, he deserved a kick up the bumb, and now he knows that he can get away with it. I feel sorry for parents, they barely have any control anymore.

**** the bastards flog them there parents wont. i rember when kids should be seen not herd kids are disgusting these days no respect and the parents are the reason they need a good slap over the head

As had been stated:- stop trying to be your kids best mate at least until they turn 18. By then they won't want their geriatric parents trying to be one of the gang.
Say what you mean and mean what you say- if you threaten to *insert your choice of discipline* THEN FOLLOW THROUGH nothing creates bad behavior quicker than the realization by the child that there are no consequences.
The law may be a toothless tiger but it doesn't mean you have to be. Kids learn at a very young age the power of the word "no" as anyone who is spoon feeding a toddler will tell you. If they don't want anymore they'll use the word 'no' if their parents use it with them and then proceed to throw the bowl and contents across the floor if you push another spoonful in their direction

Remove all electronics and fun stuff from the bedroom if you use 'go to your room'. move all the fun stuff to the family room. The bedroom should be for sleeping or 'quiet time' by their choice or yours. the human brain wasn't designed for 24hr stimulation, it needs time out - why do you think adults long for desert islands away from it all ?

yes there are good and bad in all generations but I do think each generation is getting more self absorbed (obnoxious, rude and arrogant) than the last. ..... Not all of them but the bad ones stand out more and I wonder if a lot of it is attention seeking- desperate for any kind of attention because they get none at home.
Yes I was strict with my girls and they have both reached adulthood with respect for other peoples opinions, property and feelings, and not just those that are older than they are, and they have both thanked me for not being a 'mate' and being what they considered strict, because a lot of their school friends wound up doing drugs, being in a juvi detention centre or commiting suicide because they felt worthless. They have since realised there is a difference between being strict and setting clear guidelines.

Ok, I think that's enough of a grumpy old fart rant :)

**** the bastards flog them there parents wont. i rember when kids should be seen not herd kids are disgusting these days no respect and the parents are the reason they need a good slap over the head

i reckon teach the kids by smacking the parents. I have been around long enough to remember the cane at school and it didnt do me any harm( reoccuring nerves twitches aside) i smack my offspring when the need arises but later that hasnt happened because they learnt young, any one who says that smacking doesnt work needs to come to my house smacking works with adults as well as children, thats why prison gaurds carry truncheon and pepper spray, im not saying you have to beat them senseless allthough this is sometimes neccesary with adults but a smack a day keeps the temper tantrums at bay

I personally hate all children. they're horrible. going to the local supermarket after 3pm is like feeding time at the zoo. I leave wanting to roundhouse kick, then stomp on them all.

I personally hate all children. they're horrible. going to the local supermarket after 3pm is like feeding time at the zoo. I leave wanting to roundhouse kick, then stomp on them all.

I just wish I could like this twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back