Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendont

Reaction score
What sort of trait would you call Caramel coastals? Is it hypomelanistic or something else?
and if a Caramel was bred to a normal 'wild type' what would be the result? All normals or???

learn something knew every day haven't looked into caramel much.

Caramel gene is Co-dominant so in theory you should get 50% Caramel & 50% normal.
would the theoretical 50% normal be exactly that: just plain normal? or: if you crossed 2 of the normal looking sibs with each other would you get some caramels?

I can understand Albinism (a little bit) so to understand better Im wondering if these normal 50% would be het for Caramel? Im thinking hets only apply to recessive genes but that is the only way i can think of to get the answer I am after.

also, co dom X co dom (caramelXcaramel lets say same line carmel to avoid confusion) would theoretically give you 100% caramels or???

Caramel gene is Co-dominant so in theory you should get 50% Caramel & 50% normal.

Caramel is something I've struggled to understand for a while. I used to think I got it but then I realised I didn't :/. Mostly probably because it's used in different contexts in different species (i.e. t+ albino childreni are also referred to as caramel).
If it's co-dom, what would you say the defining visual characteristic is? Is it a reduction in black (like hypo) or generally just a more caramel colour to a wild type?

would the theoretical 50% normal be exactly that: just plain normal? or: if you crossed 2 of the normal looking sibs with each other would you get some caramels?

I can understand Albinism (a little bit) so to understand better Im wondering if these normal 50% would be het for Caramel? Im thinking hets only apply to recessive genes but that is the only way i can think of to get the answer I am after.

also, co dom X co dom (caramelXcaramel lets say same line carmel to avoid confusion) would theoretically give you 100% caramels or???

Co-dominant mutations produce what is referred to as "visual hets". If you think of the most well known one, Jags, they are all heterozygous with the homozygous, or "super" form being dead leucistics. So when you talk about any co-dom mutation pairing, just use the same methods as you would to work out how many of each you would get from a recessive het pairing. So for your last example you would get 25% normal, 25% super caramel (homo) and 50% caramel (het)

Last edited:
as i said previously im not big on caramels but co-dominate X co-dominate normally makes a super of something but i don't believe there is a super caramel so id say it would make 100% caramels can anyone confirm this?

do super caramels always die like Leucistics?
leucistics only die because of the jag x jag gene it some how creates a lethal gene. The snakes seems to grow fine inside the egg but drown before they leave the egg.

Perfect. That is exactly the information I was looking for to increase my understanding. Cheers guys.

leucistics only die because of the jag x jag gene it some how creates a lethal gene. The snakes seems to grow fine inside the egg but drown before they leave the egg.

This only seems to happen with our Morelia though, elsewhere in the world a lot of species leucistics survive quite fine.

i hate talking about genetics, it makes me want every morph. ;)

now its got me thinking: what does Super X Super create?
just 100% supers
or 25% caramel 25% double super 50% super

EDIT: im not even sure if I am spelling Super correctly anymore...I am losing my mind!

now its got me thinking: what does Super X Super create?
just 100% supers
or 25% caramel 25% double super 50% super

EDIT: im not even sure if I am spelling Super correctly anymore...I am losing my mind!

Yeah all Supers. It's like breeding albino to albino

and super carmel X caramel = 50%caramel 50%super caramel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back