Getting my Jungle to drink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironized

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I have two Jungles, about 10 months old. in two separate tanks. The first, George(Of the jungle) is very happy to scoot around the ground and use his hides and the full extent of his tank, which 900L 450D 450W

Ursula (George of the jungles girlfriend) however is an almost strictly arboreal snake. A photo of her tank is hopefully attached.

I tend to find her either up on the wire vine near her basking light, or on the highest of the branch pretending shes a GTP. When ever I put her in the tank, she flies straight up that branch to live. I have never seen her spend ANY time on the ground.

This is an issue for me, because well, thats where her water bowl is. So I need ideas on how I can mount some kind of water dish high up, or encourage her to stop day dreaming about life as a GTP and just come to grips with her spilota heritage.

So all might council of herpaphiles, I seek your wisdom.

Attachments

• IMAG0188.jpg
    IMAG0188.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 180
jungles do tend to climb mine climb a bit but maybe its sneaky and waits till night time and the lights are off then cruise to the bottom to have a drink?
mine cruise around at night

Last edited:
You will probably find that she is moving around the enclosure at night and having a drink then mate. Snakes don't need water as much as we think they do. If she is still looking healthy then don't lose hope.

I wouldn't worry too much - I am pretty confident she does her exploring while you're asleep. Just make sure you keep the water fresh, as they don't tend to appreciate water that has remained stagnant for some time.

I still think its odd she never uses a hide. So I'm thinking of trying to install a hide of some kind in the left rear corner about 65% of the way up, maybe run another wire vine to it, the question is, how can I do that, in such a way that it doesn't look awful and that I can get access to it?

Im sure if she gets thirsty enough she will make her way to the ground. Snakes have to come down for a drink sooner or later.

I still think its odd she never uses a hide. So I'm thinking of trying to install a hide of some kind in the left rear corner about 65% of the way up, maybe run another wire vine to it, the question is, how can I do that, in such a way that it doesn't look awful and that I can get access to it?

My understanding is they tend to perch up high because it makes them feel safe and secure. Rather than a hide, you could just put more (fake) foliage around her favourite perching area. This will look natural, and provide her with the extra cover/security she may be craving.

As the saying goes. "You can lead a jungle to water, but you'll probably get bit". At least I think that's how it goes. :D

As the saying goes. "You can lead a jungle to water, but you'll probably get bit". At least I think that's how it goes. :D

I lost count of the amount of times I was bitten on day 1. the little buggers hated everything. Humans, animals, cardboard bozes, plants, themselves, glass, me, themselves, glass...

Now they're quite gentle. Still feisty from time to time, but they're fairly good.

The odd thing though, is its favorite perch, is right up against the glass. It is the most open area of the tank, which is fine for me, because I can get it out easy enough. But nonethe less, how does it feel safe there?

Rob72 has got it right. Most semi-arboreal pythons feel secure if they can find a comfortable fork or branch to camp in that is near the ceiling of the enclosure. For them, that functions 100% as a hide would. If you are still concerned about how secure and safe the snake feels, try adding a small budgie breeding box near the top of the enclosure.

As Rob72 indicated, snakes will not drink water that has stood for more than a day. So frequent replenishment of the water bowl is all that is required. The snake knows where the water is and when it is thirsty. Rest assured, it will help itself as required.

Blue

Rob72 has got it right. Most semi-arboreal pythons feel secure if they can find a comfortable fork or branch to camp in that is near the ceiling of the enclosure. For them, that functions 100% as a hide would. If you are still concerned about how secure and safe the snake feels, try adding a small budgie breeding box near the top of the enclosure.

As Rob72 indicated, snakes will not drink water that has stood for more than a day. So frequent replenishment of the water bowl is all that is required. The snake knows where the water is and when it is thirsty. Rest assured, it will help itself as required.

Blue

I stopped reading this at the word budgie....

i have a fountain in the corner an the water evaporates quickly, needing topping up every second day. would that be fresh enough as its not changed an cleaned for a couple of weeks.
an my jungle is a tree dweller but he explores alot as he's always hungry.

I don't understand this post, can you please explain it to me?
I read it at first as though I should put a small budgie in my tank to solve the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? you were offered good advice.

my junglw also usually perches up high and in 2 years i have never seen him drink, but i am saure he does.

Oh sorry guys, I think my post was taken the wrong way, I have actually looked into it, This post was about the humor I found in my initial interpretation of the sentence.

why are you worried about your snake not using a hide... I think this is a good thing... It obviously feels safe enough in the enclosure and its on display...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back