Getting Temps Right

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poswah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
IMG_20170317_185558.jpg setting up new tank four some pygmy dragons have UV light through the centre which is working fine for a large cool zone and have a basking spot at both ends as it is about 1500 long problem is the general area of basking is getting mid to high 30s through a dinner plate sized zone but am getting a small localised spot of about 40 41 directly under the light only about as big as a 20 to 50 cent coin. Will this be ok as it is small and localised and the larger area is mid 30s. Thanks in advance boys and girls.

As for any temperature with ANY reptile, as long as they have somewhere warm, and somewhere cold, the reptiles themselves with judge where and what is too warm. What you have got now is fine.

Thanks Alex I thought as much but I big on research and having everything sweet before I bring things home.

Probably best to also run the tank all day and make sure the cool temps in the middle of the tank stay cool, if you haven't done so already. Two lights could possibly lift the ambient temperature too high.

Thanks Alex I thought as much but I big on research and having everything sweet before I bring things home.
No problems, but just what sp.michael said...be careful that those bulbs don't lift the ambient temperature too high :)

Been on all day ambient temperature in my house is about 27 at moment and the middle of tank is about 29-30

Have the two in there because starting out with four and thought having to spots would lesson competition for the heat source

Looking at it going to put more air holes through centre give hot air more chance to escape

Some more ventilation should help get the cool temp down; 29 is too hot. If you're concerned with the basking area, a large flat rock under each will help hold the heat.

Even stacking some rocks solidly or having a branch there so they can get closer to the light could give them better variations in heat and only need the single light if you're still finding the mid temps too high. + maybe some more hiding places in general.

Thanks pinefamily and sp.michael have some driftwood and some hides and fake rock formations to go in still once the delivery man gets here. Will definitely add some more ventilation in cool section to aid in heat escaping. Like mentioned before this is why I set up and run all my new enclosures prior to getting any animals and thanks again

We have large slate coloured rocks in our tanks, courtesy of our local council ;). Not only do they provide a basking surface, but the darker rock also helps hold heat which helps with basking temps.

We have large slate coloured rocks in our tanks, courtesy of our local council ;). Not only do they provide a basking surface, but the darker rock also helps hold heat which helps with basking temps.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist the decoration and what not will evolve as I get to know my new scale babies. I will keep the slate rocks in mind now I have temps on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back