Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

Reaction score
This is a fun way of getting to know some of the site members, please refrain from adding any nasty post, do everyone a favor keep it to yourself, I will PM some people with the questions and I will post them on this thread, hope you guys enjoy it, I will be the first to kick it off.

1. When did you first start getting interested in Reptiles?

I started when I was six I recieved a shingleback from Fritz Marten from the Monbolk Animal Kingdom in 1981 and it snow balled from there.

2.What was your First reptile?

As above, then it turned out that I felt sorry for all the reptiles in the pet shops around me, so I saved up all my pocket money and paper round money to buy these poor little fellas.

3.What is your Fav reptile?

My female Blue phased Gippsland water Dragon I have had he since 1988, She bred for the first time this year after it took so long finding a true blue male. But i look at all my herp as my favs

4.What sort of work do you do?

I work for Woolworth fruit and vege distribution Warehouse, also work Partime for Deadly Australians, and run my own business called the Brisbane snake catchers, and work one day aweek at the Queensland Museum.

5. What is the best reptile you have bred, or would like to breed?

Stoked to have bred My gippsland water dragon, and I would love to breed all types of varanids, agamids and geckos that is where my interest is?

6.You most infuential herpetologist?

Eric Worrell and the team that runs it now, Jeanette Covacevich and Ptrick cooper Qld Museum, K.Alan private keeper.

7.What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles?

A large collection of lizards and snake when I was 12 years old and have the NPWS come to my place to inform me that I needed a licence for them and I would have to let them all go.....a very sad time for me

A while back, i've always liked them really

A free shingle :)

The aspidites definately, cant picked either one

At a local franklins packing shelves and volunteer work at taronga zoo once a week, as well as studying zookeeping

atm its my little bredli, but ive only just got her so yeah

id say a mate of mine, he's a private keeper (wont give his name)

Atm my little bredli hasnt eaten in almost a month, im a little worried but not too worried i spose

cheers, jono

FROM Kevyn

1. About 6yrs. old I got my picture taken with what at the time seemed like a huge Colombian Boa Constrictor (Boa Constrictor imperitor). I was hooked ever since.

2. My first herp was a few fire bellied newts at around 10, then I got a brown basilisk the next year. My first snake was a ball python (like everyone else in North America).

3. My favouite reptile is the Burmese Python. Followed close behind by Wagler's Temple Pitvipers, gaboons, and retics.

4. I am currently working as an alcohol and other drug cousellor. I'm also a tattoo artist but don't get to do that as much as I would like. I'm going back to university for a degree in biology.

5. I would love to start producing wagler's and white lippeds. Actually any Trimerserus. As for now Burms!

6. That's a tough one, maybe Mark O'Shea or Dr. Bryan Fry. Robert Bennet is up there too. There's quite a few good Indian herpetologists.

7. When my first 2 ball pythons went on a long fast. I was going crazy, it kept me up at night really.

FROM Shaun

I got interested at the end of 2003

My first reptile is a spotted python

All species of snakes

I volunteer at a nursing home on a monday sometimes in Rooty Hill on evans rd

Carpet snake

John weigel, I read all of his books

When my snake didn't want to feed

When i was 6 and held a Retic at the Singapore Zoo.

Cant remember exactly, i was 10, was either a wild caught paradise tree snake, or a wild caught green vine snake or a wild caught baby cobra or a wild caught baby bearded dragon looking lizard in Singapore.Cant remember exactly but had them all around the same time.

My first reptile here was a maccy.

Jungle carpet, with blackheadeds coming second.

I am manager of a Mining Spare Parts Company and also a Uni student.

Jungle Carpets and would like to breed me some blackheads

David and Tracy Barker

When some of my snakes wouldnt feed and when one of my jungle females died after laying.

I have always loved any animal but when I was about 6 or 7 and my cousin took me turtling in the creek and I have been nuts for reptiles ever since, what can I say it is a vicious cycle, but a good one :)!!!

Probably one of the many beardies I found in the backyard or as proper pets were 2 Emydura signata (Brissie River Shortnecks)... Spotty and Nippy

Thats discrimination... :) I love them all

I work at woolies and I am a student!!! I am studying Wildlife Biology

I would like to breed some frillies... if not beardies or my turtles!!!

A friend who shall remain nameless but has helped me out heaps over the past few years!!!

When Mr Lizard escaped and once when the turts were small, Bindi flipped onto her back and couldnt turn over... she nearly drowned :(

1. When did you first start getting interested in Reptiles? - Ive been interested as long as i can remember, and got my license 2 years back.

2.What was your First reptile? - Coastal Carpet

3.What is your Fav reptile? - I have few favourites but the best would have to be Death Adders

4.What sort of work do you do? - Have have a Part-Time job at Woolworths

5. What is the best reptile you have bred, or would like to breed? - My Coastal

6.You most infuential herpetologist? - A mate of mine

7.What was the most distressing time regarding your reptiles? - When my coastal didnt eat for about 2 months

when i was pretty young, about 5, living on a farm. i always wanted to keep the baby snakes i found.

i bought my first, a mac, last year. now i have 1 mac and 2 coastals of my own... and some step-coastals. lol

i don't really have a favourite, love them all for different reasons... storm because she is my first, orlando because he is the prettiest, and luna 'cos she's the new baby.

bar chic at local nite club wooo hoooo! free drinks!!!

don't have answers for the last few... sorry

i have always had an interest for reptiles.
my first reptile was a robust velvet gecko
ummm, i sort of favour my reptiles for different reasons. The brown tree snake coz he looks sooo cool, my ackie coz of his very distinct personality, my diamond coz she was my first registered snake and has never bitten and the rest are all on about the same level.
-i am currently in year 10 and work part time at IGA, an no i am not a checkout chick.
- the only reptiles i have bred were weasel skinks and garden skinks before i got my license but i really hope to breed my ackie.
steve irwin and richard shine are probably responsible in some way.
once my darwin carpet python was killing a live mouse (i now only feed them dead mice) and the mouse bit his eye leaving it all scrunched up...i am sure a few people would remember me having a panic attack. Luckily his eye was not damaged for very long and healed itself before i had a chance to take him to the vet first thing in the morning.

1. i first got interested in reptiles when my dad bought home wild frillnecks to release in the backyard
2. my first reptile is my blue tongue lizard, bluey which i saves from my dog when i was 7.
3. fav reptile:dant make me choose!
4. i am in yr 9 at st johns college and i deliver panflets, newspapers and tv guides twice a week
5. the best reptile i would like to breed would be a gaboon viper
6.my favourite herpetologist(apart from myself and luke) would be mark o shea
7 the most depressing moment with my herps i now cos my beardie had bad worms

Always loved em but my interest turned into a passion about 18months ago when I began volunteering at The Territory Wildlife Park

Well Blueys for around 8 years, sold em but they were just kids pets for me. SO I guess My Bredli

Oenpelli Python!! I get too work with these guys and they are awesome!

I am currenty in yr 12 12 and doing the international baccalaureate diploma

bred - all I have bred is asian House geckos lol
would like to breed - my v.baritji

Definetly Grant Husband and Marshall Black. These guys sparked my passion in herps and have taught me sooooooooooooo much and have always been a great help, I owe these guys a lot.

When I first got my v.baritji one escaped, dunno how, but it was an outdoor enclosure and these guys are pretty small so I thought I was stuffed, I looked for 5 hours (until dark). Then My dog started barking at something and there was my goanna sitting under the couch outside!

FROM AFRICAN DUDE

I've always had an interest in them but have only been keeping seriously for just over two years.

A Slow Worm, (British legless lizard), when I was about 8 y.o.

The White Lipped Python.

I am a maintenance manager for a hotel chain.

To Breed the White Lipped Python is a dream of mine!

Brian Barnett of the Herp Shop.

Mites, mites and more mites, I have nightmares about mites, horrible frightening nightmares about mites! Did I mention I don't like MITES?????

FROM GREGA

About 12 years back

corn snake

chondropython and ahaetulla prasina

I'm student

chondropython

Chris Mattison... I just loved his The encyclopedia of Snakes

Probably loosing one of my pythons

FROM NICOLE

I've loved snakes since I was a little kid. Mum tells a story about how I used to drag the draught stopper around the house with me and even take it to bed as a 3 year old because that was my "pet snake".
She told this story in front of my other half a few years back.. and my first snake was a birthday present. Best present ever I might add.

My little Coastal Carpet, he's sooo pretty, and has a beautiful nature.
Got him as a hatchling, back when we thought he was a she. He's only a 2 year old now, (I'm still a stoopid newbie), but I look forward to seeing him grow up.

You mean I can only choose one? Impossible! Here is my short list: Coastals, Olives, Scrubbies, Red Belly Blacks, BHPs, Laceys...

Ugh, shudder, cringe...I'm an auditor for Woolies Corporate.. but that's just a stop gap until I win powerball

No breeding yet... I will attempt in a couple of years though.. I'll try Blond Macs as a first attempt as they are supposed to be relatively easy to breed and easy to get feeding. Would like to work my way up from there to breed some of my favourites years from now.

I really can't say that I have met many, but I tend to take anything Peter Harlow has told me as gospel. I think he really knows his stuff, and really cares, and he's such a nice man.

That would be when Mark was holding our very new Coastal, and let him get into the leather armchair. I was in tears and almost hyperventilating as I made Mark take the chair apart to get our precious first born out of there. All's well that ends well though, and we even got the arm chair put back together in the end...

1.When did you first start getting intersted in reptiles?
About 3 years ago.

2.What was your first reptile?
Dice the Diamond python,he was 3 weeks old.

3.What is your favorite reptile?
Probably Dice but I love all of 'em.

I own and run a Limousine Bussiness in Sydney.0421089253

5.What is the best reptile you have bred or would like to breed?
I haven't had success with my Diamonds yet,hopefully Iwill this year. My ultimate goal is to breed Green Tree Snakes.

6.Your most influential herpetologist.
I don't really have any as I don't know any personally.

7.What is the most distressing time with your reptiles?
When I tried to get rid of mite in my collection of 22 snakes.I lost 2 baby Green Tree snakes and nearly lost 2 baby Diamonds using Orange Medic diluted with water. I had to stand over my heater holding the diamonds over the heat from 1am untill the vet opened cause every time I took them away from the heat they would start fitting and turning upside down with their breathing almost stopping on several occasions,please to say the are now nearly 3 feet long but it was the worts 3 days of mylife.

Always interested in reptiles

Blue tongue

Olive python

Husband

Olive python

HA :idea: I have power to kick.

When my beautifull diamond Georgina was stolen.

Dad's mate showed us his 2 carpets about 12 years ago. Ever since then I loved snakes, we'd be out dirt bike riding and we'd stop, the first thing I'd do is start flipping logs.

Used to keep garden skinks every now and then, but first proper one was a yearling maculosa.

Oenpelli's, File Snakes or Red Bellies...

I'm work in a bike shop.

I'd love the breed Red Bellies, Arafura File Snakes or Woma's.

Steve Irwin.

My mother was meant to be watching my big male coastal (my favourite snake by far) as he basked on a window sill. She forgot about him, took a shower and went to the shops. 3 hours later she remembered, and he was gone out the open window. When I got home, I made up a few hundred flyers saying there was a very nice, docile carpet python lose, and he is totally harmless so don't kill the poor thing, just call this number. We got a call the next night, he was up a tree, about 300 metres up the road.

FROM BUGGIESMUGGLER

When I was a kid but I was scared sh*tless of snakes. I can still remeber my dad killing eastern browns on our farm when I was 7.

A children's python. Can you believe I actually trembled the first time I handled it as a hatchling!

Axe (axeminster) my female coastal carpet.

I manufacture & market teaching resources for child care centres & preschools.

My first python hatchling hopefully this season.

A mate T.

When my male coastal regurgitated a huge rat after 2 days because it was too big & at first I didn't know what the aweful smell was.

FROM NIGMAX

i first became interested in reptiles as a child. We lived on a small property and there were always skinks or snakes about.

my first reptile was a bluetongue skink

my fav reptile would have to be pythons

i work in the building industry

i have never bred anything but am very interested in building up my stock and having a go with carpet pythons

i couldnt say i have a most influential herpetologist(i personally havent been in the scene very long) but the person who listened to my questions(possibly silly ones) and gave me advice and pointed me in the right direction was Brian Barnett

the most distressing time regarding my reps would have to have been a couple off months ago. i was building my blueys a outdoor enclosure so i had the guys out in the sun with me in another container with a nice secure lid (i thought). we had been out most of the day no dramas when my girlfriend came home so i went up for a coffee. upon my return 5 mins later we had 1 empty box and 1 big backyard backing onto an even bigger state forest after running round like an idiot and getting nowhere i ran up and told my girlfriend who calmly came down looked round for a min and picked up 2 happy little blueys.

1. Since I can remember.
2. Coastal Carpet Python now 2yr old.
3. Green Sea Turtle and Boyd's Forest Dragon.
4. Zoology postgraduate student now doing a Masters degree.
5. Have not bred reptiles, don't really want to just yet.
6. Rick Shine and Steve Irwin.
7. Leaving them in Sydney with a good friend when I came back up to Townsville to study!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back